Capricorn

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, 

Wondering if anyone has first hand experience here. My fiance' is stuck in Scotland during lockdown and wants to buy some stuff there but she has already reached her luggage capacity. Is there any duties, vat or any other charges besides courier charges if she sends stuff from her house there in the UK to us back home via DHL for example, she'll obviously remove original sealed packaging?

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has first hand experience here. My fiance' is stuck in Scotland during lockdown and wants to buy some stuff there but she has already reached her luggage capacity. Is there any duties, vat or any other charges besides courier charges if she sends stuff from her house there in the UK to us back home via DHL for example, she'll obviously remove original sealed packaging?

Which components?

Duties are zero on most components, but ATV is what they refer to as the VAT. So you’ll pay for the freight, plus a handling charge and ATV.

During lockdown, they won’t be able to ship.

Advice please:

I have a friend that now lives in the UK and I'd like to have him buy some some stuff for me from crc ect when he does orders.

So they'll get delivered to him and I'll obviously also pay the UK vat can he then throw them in a box and send them to me with A courier? Would there then be duties or vat to be paid here again?

Which courier Co would be easiest in your opinion?

Which components?

Duties are zero on most components, but ATV is what they refer to as the VAT. So you’ll pay for the freight, plus a handling charge and ATV.

During lockdown, they won’t be able to ship.

No components. she wants to buy herself  shoes, clothing and a helmet which most carry 45% if imported directly hence I was wondering if she buys it for herself there and then sends it back this side is she will still be charged here too?

No components. she wants to buy herself shoes, clothing and a helmet which most carry 45% if imported directly hence I was wondering if she buys it for herself there and then sends it back this side is she will still be charged here too?

She will pay VAT that side, an then again when it arrives here, plus duties on the clothing. It might better to pre-book excess luggage and bring it back that way. It works out cheaper if you pay before the day of the flight.

It will be cheaper to pay the extra bag charge or over weight than paying for DHL. 

then when she lands in SA and goods she bought is under R5500 in total it will be free of vat. 
if its over R5500 she will pay vat on the amount more than R5500. 
this will be the cheapest overall option. 

If she can fit it into her hand luggage or strap the helmet to her backpack then it will cost nothing extra. 

Hey guys, 

• 1 month later...

does it matter where you are importing from? or are the import fees the same regardless?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, looking at buying a set of pedals from merlin cycles uk, will use my global shopper aramex account. Would i pay import duties or just vat? As i recall bike parts are duty free?

Hi guys, looking at buying a set of pedals from merlin cycles uk, will use my global shopper aramex account. Would i pay import duties or just vat? As i recall bike parts are duty free?

Just not if you use Aramex etc, you will pay VAT in the country of origin AND here...

So can still work out cheaper if you got your maths correct :)

Hi guys, thanx, yip, vat is charged in UK, and then in SA, eish, will think about this...thanx.

does it matter where you are importing from? or are the import fees the same regardless?

Where it’s made, and the type

of product is what determines the duties payable. A product made in China, but sold from the EU does mean it falls in the “free” column titled EU.

https://www.sars.gov.za/AllDocs/LegalDoclib/SCEA1964/LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04%20-%20Schedule%20No%201%20Part%201%20Chapters%201%20to%2099.pdf

The regions are:

General - everywhere else that isn’t categorized below.

EU - the European Union

SADC - The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is a Regional Economic Community comprising 16 Member States; Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

EFTA - The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is a regional trade organization and free trade area consisting of four European states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.

MERCOSUR - The Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR for its Spanish initials) is a regional integration process, initially established by Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay, and subsequently joined by Venezuela and Bolivia* -the latter still complying with the accession procedure.

Edited by Frosty

Hi guys, thanx, yip, vat is charged in UK, and then in SA, eish, will think about this...thanx.

Do they still charge local VAT if you give a Global shopper address in another country?