Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Even the Post Office got fresh. When your parcel comes in under the duties/VAT radar, they slap you with a minimum charge of R25 odd for "admin/handling costs".

Nothing mahala any longer :thumbdown:

I've been paying R30 lately.

Then the other day they slapped me with R58 for an item from Wish.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, SARS uses the date of shipment to determine the exchange rate used to calculate your ATV (tax) and duties.

On their website, somewhere, I have it bookmarked on my laptop, is their exchange rate system. You enter the shipment date, i.e. when the goods leave the country of origin or country of sale, and it will give you the exchange rate.

Use that rate to multiply by the FOB value, and you end up with the ZAR about used to calculate ATV and and possible duties.

• 1 month later...

my old man has decided that importing ebikes is a good idea.

cheap *** ones.

is the 15% duty on bikes applicable to ebikes too

my old man has decided that importing ebikes is a good idea.

cheap *** ones.

is the 15% duty on bikes applicable to ebikes too

Maybe look at what you can get from Chilled Squirrel

There is also a co. in P/Island where a friend recently got a MTB for commuting that she has been very happy with. Battery integration is good and power delivery has been solid.

AddressCommuter Clubhouse Corner of Neptune and, Carlisle St, Paarden Eiland, Cape Town, 7405

Hours
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM

Appointmentsdarrvinshop.com

There is also a co. in P/Island where a friend recently got a MTB for commuting that she has been very happy with. Battery integration is good and power delivery has been solid.

AddressCommuter Clubhouse Corner of Neptune and, Carlisle St, Paarden Eiland, Cape Town, 7405

Hours
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM

Appointmentsdarrvinshop.com

yes he already has one, wants to bring in a container to keep him busy

what ... does he not want to recharge the battery and lube the chain, but rather just grab a fresh new bike ... that is pimping!

what ... does he not want to recharge the battery and lube the chain, but rather just grab a fresh new bike ... that is pimping!

Who said anything about renting out his "rides" ...

What type of bikes ?

MTB (trail type) ...

Classic commuters ...

Gravel grinders ....

Road bikes ....

Please keep us posted  :thumbup:

Hi guys, 

Can anyone recommend a courier service to get a small package from Czech to South Africa?  

I have made the mistake of using the post office last year and have not received my package in almost a year so want to try the courier option instead if feasible.

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone give some detail on instances where i may need to import items more than 3x a year - I understand 3 is the max number of times up to a value of 50K. I will soon be needing various workshop tools and items for personal use, though it could easily be bike parts too

any help appreciated.

Hi, can anyone give some detail on instances where i may need to import items more than 3x a year - I understand 3 is the max number of times up to a value of 50K. I will soon be needing various workshop tools and items for personal use, though it could easily be bike parts too

any help appreciated.

Ask your accountant to register you as an importer. It's done online via the SARS website. Can do it in your personal capacity, does not even have to be a company.

If your documentation/FICA is correct it's done within 2 weeks. 

Did mine last year, and takes all the guesswork away ..... When importing you just specify your Custom's code instead of your ID.

Edited by EddieV

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. If I had to import a complete bike for around 50k. What would the total amount I need to pay including customs and vat?

Thanks

Theoretically from Europe: R7,500 in duty and about R9,500 in VAT. (15% duty and 15% VAT on 110% of the shipment value (so effectively 16.5% VAT)).

Practically, you might end up paying that or you might end up just paying R8,250 in VAT.

Really depends on which customs official you get and whether they decide it's a complete bike or if it's bike parts (only applicable if it's at least partially disassembled for shipping).

I've had both approaches happen to me both on complete Canyon bikes so it's a bit of a lottery.

Edited by Jehosefat

Theoretically from Europe: R7,500 in duty and about R9,500 in VAT. (15% duty and 15% VAT on 110% of the shipment value (so effectively 16.5% VAT)).

Practically, you might end up paying that or you might end up just paying R8,250 in VAT.

Really depends on which customs official you get and whether they decide it's a complete bike or if it's bike parts (only applicable if it's at least partially disassembled for shipping).

I've had both approaches happen to me both on complete Canyon bikes so it's a bit of a lottery.

So In other words if I buy the frame and parts separately I just pay the VAT portion? Whereas a whole bike would cost me an additional 15%?

you dont pay vat on bike parts. just duties. Ignore this part please...i was brainfarting while i typed. YES you pay VAT...not import duties (on bike parts). a complete bike does not count as bike parts.

also...not mentioned but you might need an import licence on something of that value. There is a limit on imports on your ID# per year. It's under R50k total. over that and you have to register with customs for a import licence. Anything over R15k once off will also draw their attention. 

"Since 2013‚ the amended Customs and Excise Act has allowed South Africans to "import" no more than three "consignments" from overseas — with a value of less than R50‚000 — in a calendar year without registering with customs"

Edited by MORNE