Suikerbosrand

mrmed

I've been hearing about this wonderful Suikerbosrand ride. I have a few questions:

1. Is it a road or MTB ride

2. How far?

3. Where does it start / end and how do you get there? (I know, a male asking for directions!)

Is anybody else planning to ride MTB this weekend? We want to do 4 rides of around 80km. (Th, Fri, Sat, Sun)

Here is a profile for the road section of the reserve. 58km with almost 1200m of climbing. (that day we did two laps). its all tarred, with a good surface. the final climb is tough, but all in all its a wonderful route.

To get there is easy, just take the N3 to Heidelberg, and take the turnoff where Suikerbosrand is marked. Turn right and travel about 6km to where you see the entrance on the left. Its about R50 for two people and a car for the day.

Give them a call for any more info: 011 904 3930/7/9

Enjoy!

20070808_003001_Suikerbosrand_1.gif

and keep an eye out for a plodding holy roller on sunday morning. approach with caution (and/or a beer) 

HR' date=' were you there on Sat? [/quote']

no saturdays are out (work in my lbs on sats). rode it this morn. it's horrid. missed a turn at speed after 10 (i think) kays and wrecked my ankle and drop-out. managed 2.31 (ok, laugh, but i fell twice twice. HARD!), but yikes, it's hard! there was a bunch that screamed "jump on now if you want a lift", but there was no chance i was gonna hang onto them.

HR' date=' are you ok? some of those corners are nasty[/quote']

hey sp, you're right they are nasty. been meaning to switch the brakes around for months (mtbs have right front brakes). ex-wife says i was just too keen to beat her time around the place (my first time!) haha!. it's a sprained ankle (wrist is broken again, can handle that). hard to walk but i can ride alrightBig%20smile

while i'm here, whyaren'there any facilities to sit an have a little drinkie after your ride there. someone's missing a trick.

HR, that doesn't sound good at all.

yep, having brakes on different sides can get problematic. i've always had front brakes on the right though and a lot of my friends moan that i have my brakes back-to-front! (only worked out very recently why i prefer it that way... motorbikes have clutch on left and brakes on right so considering i used to (many many moons ago) play around on a scrambler at weekends and i commuted on a scoot (with gears) in the early '90s it suddenly makes sense)

you're right sp. i try to convince newbies who i sell bikes to in the lbs that you need to control your front more than your rear. no one listens, people like to skid