WHR540 Wheels

Wannabe

Does anyone know if their is a weight limit on the Shimano WHR540 wheels? What year were they introduced?

Any feedback, more info on these wheels would be appreciated.

Cannot find any info on it on the Shimano website. Any site where I could get a product review?

Not to sure of the R540's, but The R500's have a 85kg limit if I remember correctly. Spoke count 20F/24R.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to true these wheels.

Jamm, not sure about the 85kg limit. Using mine now for that last year and a half and have only trued it once and I weigh much more than 85.

I had a pair of the WHR540's and also had them true'd several times before my bikeshop replaced them with a pair of handbuilts (I weigh 100kgs...)

I think he had several pairs of wheels returned, and he did mention a weight limit of 85kg that he did not know about.

Make sure your LBS use a spoke tension metre as if not you will be wasting your time having these wheels re-tensioned.

Without a proper spoke tension metre you will never get your wheels 100 % .correct.

rgds steve m

Shimano started wheel production of the WHR535 in 2000 and the WHR540 replaced these in aprrox.2002. They were very succesfull once upgraded to stainless spokes.

For more infor call 0861-Shimano and speack to Jade for any assistance

rgds sm

Hehe... there was a post a while ago  advertising the "stevens launch". Some wisecrack asked "who's steven"...

What would u guys then suggest to be a reasonable price to pay  for these used wheels?  They are not mint, but not too shabby either.

What would u guys then suggest to be a reasonable price to pay  for these used wheels?  They are not mint' date=' but not too shabby either.[/quote']

R1200 max and then they need to be in perfect nick. The latest new ones is just above 2k.

What would u guys then suggest to be a reasonable price to pay  for these used wheels?  They are not mint' date=' but not too shabby either.[/quote']

The 540s have been replaced by the 560s.  My LBS have stopped selling the 540s, because of all the problems and comebacks.  At one stage they had a bunch of 540s that orginally came standard on bikes but were replaced by different wheels.  The 540s sold for about R 1.6K new about 2 years ago.  Personally I would not pay more than R800, that might be worth the risk.

(Junior has had a set of 560s for about two years now, no problems.)

Tx Guys.

Will make offer of R500.00 then. Seller is not cyclist. He is selling them on behalf of friend who passed away's, wife.

Wannabe2007-08-15 03:25:57

I have a set of 540's and have been riding them for about 3 years now and have had only 1 broken spoke and been trued only once.

When I bought them i was told there was a 75kg limit due to the spoke configuration and amount of spokes.

Besides the bearings not being of the best quality and need to be serviced regularly and the extra flex while standing and sprinting I am happy with the overall performance and quality of my set up to now. It was not a bad buy for the price at the time. I paid 1.6k for mine