recovery drinks / supplements

I'm not big on supplements, but was wondering how much difference it really makes. In the past I have pretty much stuck to energade and black cat bars (they're the cheapest) for most of my riding. After rides I'd either have a beer, glass of coke or the occasional glass of milk.

I've also recently started to get heartburn from training (especially running) if I train on an empty stomach. So I walked into a supplement shop and asked for a shake that would give me some energy, sort out the heartburn problem and also have the necessary "recovery" qualities so that I can drink half of the shake after my run / ride.

It was a typical body builder type of dude at the counter and I assume they didn't have much "cycling specific" products, so he suggested I get some of the "mass gainer" stuff that okes drink after gym sessions. This shake is about 70% carbs and 30% whey protein (not hat I know the difference between protein and "whey" protein). To me it seems to make sense, the carbs give you energy, and the protein is vital for recovery.

It's reasonably cheap (I mix it half strength with full cream milk) and doesn't taste too bad. Was just wondering how this stuff would compare to USN Recover Max or some of the more dedicated cycling products?

Whey protein is a protein derived from milk. The other type of protein you usually get in these products is soy protein (from soya).

You should consider drinking chocolate milk as a recovery drink. It's significantly cheaper than the other stuff and some studies (e.g. reviewed here) have shown it to be as effective, if not more so than some commercial products. It has sufficient electrolytes to provide good rehydration properties as well as protein and carbohydrate.

A glass of Milo has about 72% of it's energy from carbohydrate, 14% from protein and 14% from fat. Something like Nesquik may have less fat (if that's important to you) and the fat content can also be adjusted by using fullcream or skim milk.

Whey as Edman says is a protein derive from milk, casein is also a protein derived from milk. Whey protein is a fast release protein which is better for post rides so muscle repair can take place.

Just my 2c worth. My post ride used to consist of a cold hot chocolate and a serios breakfast.

If you want you can add a substance called glutamine into your post excercise, this supposedly helps with lactic acid accumulation resulting in no stiff legs the next day!

• 4 weeks later...

If you are training hard and want to recover fast during long sessions,Peptopro is the answer.

It consists of peptides(protein) that repair muscle damage.There is no carbs,you mix it with your choise of energy drink.Training on a empty stomach is bad news.A car cant run on a empty tank,neither can you.

Potatoes,sweetpotatoes are better sources of energy than choclates,it's low gi and does'nt spike energy levels like sweets.

Training is 60% eating,40% training.

If you are training hard and want to recover fast during long sessions,Peptopro is the answer.

Agree on this one (it just tastes horrible :lol: )

I often mix some with USN Epic Pro for recovery when I have very hectic training sessions.

You don't get much cheaper than this,a pinch of salt, a palm-full of sugar,add to 500ml of water and stir(easier if water boiled).

I have been useing it for years,in SA i added that 9 in one concentrate to flavour it.

Now i just use Oros.

Agree on this one (it just tastes horrible :lol: )

Try and keep it as cold as possible. I freeze my second bottle on "races".

The colder the better the taste

Try and keep it as cold as possible. I freeze my second bottle on "races".

The colder the better the taste

I don't ride with Pepto Pro.

A certain former Tread publisher just klaps 1 litre of milk after a hard ride for recovery, he's quite a monster on the pedals too.

Never drink Peptopro on its own, its horrible. I always mix it in with my energy mix.

But it does work. (just very expensive)

Don't know what's worse,the smell or the taste!!Leave a empty bottle that contained Peptopro for a day,smeeeeeeeeeeelly!!

It taste best with Grape flavoured Energade.You get about 40 servings from a tub,where from USN epic Pro only about half that,so it's really cheap in comparison.

what does peptopro do, will it sustain energy- keep bonking at bay? allow u to ride stonger for longer. prevent that dead feeling in the legs?

or does it just aid in recovery

what does peptopro do, will it sustain energy- keep bonking at bay? allow u to ride stonger for longer. prevent that dead feeling in the legs?

or does it just aid in recovery

PeptoPro®: What is it?

PeptoPro® is unique in being a pre-digested milk protein, derived from casein, which is neutral in taste. The secret lies in a patent-protected enzyme that reduces the typical bitter taste at the same time as generating tiny protein fragments (so-called peptides) that are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and so fuel the muscles.

PeptoPro® is a groundbreaking all-natural product developed by DSM scientists. It is widely known that amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, are crucial for muscle function. But consuming intact proteins, means these amino acids first need to be liberated by gastro-intestinal digestion and this costs precious time and energy. Intact proteins can lead to discomfort during physical activity. Proteins can be pre-digested to deliver bioavailable amino acids, but this generally produces a bitter taste. PeptoPro® can be provided in a variety of pleasant tasting powders, drinks, gels or energy bars.

From the peptopro website - but they lie about the "neutral in taste" :blink:

thanx mads. gr8. but what/ how does it help during the ride. like gels pep up energy, how does peptopro help. any personal experiences

Hi Kaka,

Peptopro repair muscle damage(building)during excercise.It contains no carbs,so the energy drink of choise gives the energy,but in conjunction with Peptopro wich just gives you the legs when needed.i did a 130km mtb ride this past weekend,never bonked,never had weak legs.Sip it every 30min,or 15 min intervals.And it is so effective in repairing damage muscle,that you'll never have sore legs.I vote for this stuff,it's very easy on the stomach,never eyeing out the next bush for a upset tummy.

Try it,you'll never ride without it.