FORMULA RI VS XTR

zork

hi

i need some advice.i've got currently xtr brakes on .i am quite happy with them,i am thinking to put formula r1 on.will they be better than the xtr's.only reason is to save some weight.is there a big diff.

any advice would be appreciated

I used XTR brakes for about 15 months and I thought they were great, only once you change brakes do you actually realise how crap they are. XTR, I found needed bleeding often and the biggest issue was that the brake force degraded very quickly and would go from ok to very spongy in one 45kay ride. I now ride with Elixer CR's and they are fantastic. The XTR brakes are the weak link in the entire XTR gruppo and you would be better served with XT brakes. I have heard some great things about Formula, so go for it. They are lighter also.

I had XT, which with the Servo wave was supposed to be good brakes but I wasnt really impressed. Modulation not bad, but the stopping power was so-so (im 65kg) on 160mm disks with the normal (sinteres ?) pads.

Also got a bit fed up with them rubbing constantly, couldn't get that sorted. They and the XTR are quite heavy as far as disk brakes go.

Being Weight Weenie I wanted the lightest, so I got the first model R1's (279g quoted), lighter than XX which was the only other light brake out then.

The R1 had Magnesium levers but they have been changed to alu, apparently som corosion issues ?

The lighter floating alu spider rotor has also been taken away, only the normal lightweight disk is available as the floating one was bendy/flexy when it got hot.

Your other options are XX, or the new XX world cup ( 272g quoted, XX about 288g I think) they made it lighter by removing the bite point adjuster and its now black not silver, but It will only be here in 2011 probly.

Hope makes the race X2 (model?) I think about 276g quoted. No other systems are this light, yet....

The R1 does stay the lightest, as you can fit carbon levers (save 16g I think ) and some Ti bolts.

Their stopping power is amazing on 160mm discs, modulation is still decent and organic pads mean they are less noisy and I think also dont heat up as much, but in mud youll need some sintered pads ;)

My uncle came frome juicy ultimates to R1's and cant stop raving and hes around 88kg. SOme guys put 140's on the back, as they can be too strong on the rear with a 160 hehe.

I also had to stop dead at groenies the other day when MTbjosh fell infront of me on that switchback section, I came to a complete stop in about 1,5 to 2 meters, stopping against his seatpost hehe.

MBUK rated the R1 as the best XC brake, even over XX, Hope, Magura etc and said it had great power and was reliable as well.

WW.

R1's are the best, or any Formula brakes for that reason. I have the ORO's and they are fantastic. Stopping power on the R1's is insane and they wont leak for 5years the manufacturers claim...

I had XT, which with the Servo wave was supposed to be good brakes but I wasnt really impressed. Modulation not bad, but the stopping power was so-so (im 65kg) on 160mm disks with the normal (sinteres ?) pads.

Also got a bit fed up with them rubbing constantly, couldn't get that sorted. They and the XTR are quite heavy as far as disk brakes go.

Being Weight Weenie I wanted the lightest, so I got the first model R1's (279g quoted), lighter than XX which was the only other light brake out then.

The R1 had Magnesium levers but they have been changed to alu, apparently som corosion issues ?

The lighter floating alu spider rotor has also been taken away, only the normal lightweight disk is available as the floating one was bendy/flexy when it got hot.

Your other options are XX, or the new XX world cup ( 272g quoted, XX about 288g I think) they made it lighter by removing the bite point adjuster and its now black not silver, but It will only be here in 2011 probly.

Hope makes the race X2 (model?) I think about 276g quoted. No other systems are this light, yet....

The R1 does stay the lightest, as you can fit carbon levers (save 16g I think ) and some Ti bolts.

Their stopping power is amazing on 160mm discs, modulation is still decent and organic pads mean they are less noisy and I think also dont heat up as much, but in mud youll need some sintered pads ;)

My uncle came frome juicy ultimates to R1's and cant stop raving and hes around 88kg. SOme guys put 140's on the back, as they can be too strong on the rear with a 160 hehe.

I also had to stop dead at groenies the other day when MTbjosh fell infront of me on that switchback section, I came to a complete stop in about 1,5 to 2 meters, stopping against his seatpost hehe.

MBUK rated the R1 as the best XC brake, even over XX, Hope, Magura etc and said it had great power and was reliable as well.

WW.

Damn, what a comprehensive answer...that's why I love the hub :)

I am 105kg's of pure neglect, and my Elixer CR's work the ****. My XTR's could not stand the heat.

No problem man, if I actually know something from personal experience and not hearsay as is mostly the case on the hub, then I think a proper post is called for :)

Hell, I paid 5k without rotors, CWC got them for 3,5k, cant beat that man, BARGAIN !!!

I am 105kg's of pure neglect, and my Elixer CR's work the ****. My XTR's could not stand the heat.

:lol: classic