Tell me, - cos I used to be a pen pusher and.........

GrumpyOldGuy

......not a technical fella, whats the differance between a set of "VP" Cleats (generics I assume) and a set of "LOOK" Delta Cleats besides the obvious R75.00 price differance in VP'S favour.?

I am also rather astounded to find that my LOOK cleats I bought about 6 / 8 months ago were R125.00 and now they are a staggering R175.00? from the same shop. Thats a staggering 40% price increase in 6 months.!

I saw a poster here who went by the name "Mr Look",or similar - is he the official importer.?

......not a technical fella, whats the differance between a set of "VP" Cleats (generics I assume) and a set of "LOOK" Delta Cleats besides the obvious R75.00 price differance in VP'S favour.?

I am also rather astounded to find that my LOOK cleats I bought about 6 / 8 months ago were R125.00 and now they are a staggering R175.00? from the same shop. Thats a staggering 40% price increase in 6 months.!

I saw a poster here who went by the name "Mr Look",or similar - is he the official importer.?

Hi,

Yes, I'm the official agent.

The difference between VP cleats and LOOK cleats is the material they are made off. VP or any generic cleat can cause wear on your pedal surface.

I find it very strange that you paid R125 a few months ago, it must have been very OLD stock. My prices have been static the 14 months or so. LOOK actually had a price increase of 9% a year ago...but the Rand improved...so everything pretty much stayed the same.

That's interesting. What material is Look cleats made from and what material is VP cleats made from?

Johan, doen jouself n guns en gaan na jou naaste winkel ,vergelyk die materiaal en dan praat ons weer.

Hi,

Yes, I'm the official agent.

The difference between VP cleats and LOOK cleats is the material they are made off. VP or any generic cleat can cause wear on your pedal surface.

I find it very strange that you paid R125 a few months ago, it must have been very OLD stock. My prices have been static the 14 months or so. LOOK actually had a price increase of 9% a year ago...but the Rand improved...so everything pretty much stayed the same.

Hmm, your price may have remained constant, but the retailers has'nt.

Anyway, I am surprised its just a material differance, how can a plastic cleat can wear a metal surface like a pedal?.

I will be honest with you, it's the newer (Keo) generation pedals that suffer. The cleats grind into the graphite or carbon bodies. I've also seen cleat failure, where cleats broke, can't recall the brand though.

Naa, by my name you will see I am old, just like my pedals (probably 8 years or more) they appear to be metal and they still fit the older DELTA system.

So, Yeah, I have no aversion to buying LOOK, but hey, I have been reading the whole unsavory issue here on prices etc and when I see a 40% price increase and another brand hanging next to it for 75.00 smacks cheaper and it looks the same, I felt there needs to be a reason,- you said material, so, I have to consider that, but as an importer surely you also understand that price jumps like that make consumers cynical.

I'll think about it, but, honestly, I think 175 smacks is a little steep.

You do too, be Honest now.! :D

Naa, by my name you will see I am old, just like my pedals (probably 8 years or more) they appear to be metal and they still fit the older DELTA system.

So, Yeah, I have no aversion to buying LOOK, but hey, I have been reading the whole unsavory issue here on prices etc and when I see a 40% price increase and another brand hanging next to it for 75.00 smacks cheaper and it looks the same, I felt there needs to be a reason,- you said material, so, I have to consider that, but as an importer surely you also understand that price jumps like that make consumers cynical.

I'll think about it, but, honestly, I think 175 smacks is a little steep.

You do too, be Honest now.! :D

To be honest ..again..it's a bit steep. :blink: I suggest you shop around a bit. They're R140 at my LBS. Cycling is unfortunately one of those expensive sports! Stuff's bloody expensive....trust me I know.

To be honest ..again..it's a bit steep. :blink: I suggest you shop around a bit. They're R140 at my LBS. Cycling is unfortunately one of those expensive sports! Stuff's bloody expensive....trust me I know.

Yeah, 140.00 I can live with, 175.00 !!! :blink: Naa.!

I will look around, thanks for the heads up.!

That is the biggest load of crap I have heard in my life...

Well you're obviously the expert here....rather go and ride you're bike.

Well, yes and no. I have seen metal shafts of more than 50mm diameter worn down by a couple of strands of waste material (basically strands of cotton)to such an extent that it has actually worn right through.

Some material is more abrasive than others. If the cleats are too "strong" then the pedals will wear.

Well, yes and no. I have seen metal shafts of more than 50mm diameter worn down by a couple of strands of waste material (basically strands of cotton)to such an extent that it has actually worn right through.

Some material is more abrasive than others. If the cleats are too "strong" then the pedals will wear.

I concur. I see this all the time on Motion Control Dampers (Rock Shox) where the nylon shaft works inside an alu collar. The collar is just about destroyed and the shaft looks like new.

I find this quite interesting and counter-intuitive. Like you say, a bit of cotton cuts a steel shaft. I think what's happening is that the softer material traps grit and allows it to grind away at the harder of the two materials without incurring any damage to itself.

That's why I asked the OP what the stuff is made of but he thought I was being hardegat.

It'll be interesting to know that say, polyethelyne rubs the alu whilst say, polypropelyne doesn't.

I've observed this behaviour only in the presence of a third material that's harder than both the others. I.e. sand on steel and cotton. Sand on alu and plastic.

Hullo Johan, I also think Mr Look misunderstood your question. I am sure it was an honest mistake though.