Eishkom - Richkom

djvr

At a presentation, Eskom gave us all kinds of information and then we worked it out for ourselves that the excom's increases varied from 73% to 91%," Solidarity spokesperson Jaco Kleynhans said.

This is madness. We have to pay 30% more for electricity and the bosses enrich themselves. Bloody wankers. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ag come on. Get real for a minute please. Do you really have all the facts to make such a statement.

I work for Eskom and I know a thing or two about our finances.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to build a powerstation? We are building two at the moment, if you didn't know.

The increase is surely not to make the bosses rich. It's not even high enough to get us out of the clear.

That's why we took a loan from the world bank, and do you really think they would loan us such a high amount if they thought that we're wasting money?

It's easy for everyone to blame Eskom.

Ag come on. Get real for a minute please. Do you really have all the facts to make such a statement.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to build a powerstation? We are building two at the moment, if you didn't know.

The increase is surely not to make the bosses rich. It's not even high enough to get us out of the clear.

That's why we took a loan from the world bank, and do you really think they would loan us such a high amount if they thought that we're wasting money?

You have the wrong end of the stick stewie, its not about the price increase that Eskom has passed on to the consumer, its about the Eskom executives enriching themselves to the tune of an 83% salary increase, when they are in just such a position.

Take a look at News 24 - its pretty much the talking point of the day.

http://www.news24.com/

Well, that and the fact Brazil are out of the world cup.!

My appolagies to djvr.

Eskom has been called so many names that I thought excom was one of them. Didn't realise you're talking about the execs.

I'm on leave, so I'm not up to date with the news.

This is outrageous. I'm with you on this. If someone really cares for his bussiness, then in difficult times they shouldn't take such bonusses.

Brazil out of the WC BRILLIANT! then it just leaves Argentina, The Crouts and Uruguay to get KO'd and we have a WC winner who has never won the WC before... thats what I would love to see, come on Ghana, Holland & Spain!

Brazil out of the WC BRILLIANT! then it just leaves Argentina, The Crouts and Uruguay to get KO'd and we have a WC winner who has never won the WC before... thats what I would love to see, come on Ghana, Holland & Spain!

Yeah, Brazil collapsed after the red card.

I have been rooting for Spain, but I really thought Brazil would get through.

Hey Stewie....

Quick thing.... not an arguement or anything ... just would like to reply....

With Eskom building a new power station ( 2 at that ) surely correctly managed profits from the usage of power should cover the building of new power stations and not increasing the rates to cover it....

i mean... if i had a succesful restaurant and wanted open a new one.... would i have to increase my prices in order to achieve this? or should i run a smooth operation, allocating my profits appropriately and being able to open another one with a small loan or something??

if you can shed more light on this - that would be appreciated as i know next to nothin about this sort of thing..

thanks!

Cranck, actually you are correct and I am probably not the best person to answer your question, but I'll try my best.

On Eskom's side, better planning should have taken place, but:

1. Since basically 2000 we have been asking for more price increases, but NERSA did not give this to us.

(For example, we ask for 5% and NERSA gives 3%. Next year we need 10% but NERSA gives 5% etc)

2. Then there is BEE, apartheid, first being state owned and now a company etc that caused a whole lot of other isues.

3. All the blackouts from a while ago was a serious of unfortunate events, which caused us to run the gas stations which is run at a loss. Those things burn through diesel like crazy and cost us a lot of money.

Unlike a restuarant, if we have a crisis we can't tell the public that we can only accomonadate x amount of customers. We have to expand no matter what.

This is some of the reasons I can think about. We are to blame to some extend, but not all is our fault.

Then why do they

1. Sell rediculously low electricity to the biggets users?

2. Export Electricity?

3. Pay the top management so much when they are not performing.

Maybe they should call the parastatal EXCUSECOM!

what about the odd 83 million (i think)they spend on world cup tickets.

Then why do they1. Sell rediculously low electricity to the biggets users?2. Export Electricity?3. Pay the top management so much when they are not performing. Maybe they should call the parastatal EXCUSECOM!

Contracts

As for number 3, and the world cup tickets - I would really love to know.

I am not getting into an argument with you guys. I was just stating facts that not everyone knows about.

It's not like I'm happy about the price increases. I pay just as much as you

I hope those baboons are keeping Koeberg station in good running order.

what about the odd 83 million (i think)they spend on world cup tickets.

It's R12 million.

And it's because it's other people's money. Bet none of those executives would've forked out double for some tickets (like they did) if the money were from their own pocket.