what chain lube?

Christie

I would appreciate some advice:

What are the best chain lube to use for road bikes? And for MTB?

Every bike shop sels/reccomends something different. I even tried a wax based lube, which I found was disgusting! I clean the chain fairly regularly, and the wax makes a hell of a mess (I dont have special de-greaser for wax).

So what brand of lube, light or heavy duty? (I dont ride in the rain if I can help it.)

Squirt Road and MTB can be higly recommended.

You must however keep your chain clean at all times, no matter what lube you use. i wash mine with a clamshell type cleaner (Made by BBB) at least evry two weeks with road use and more with dirty or wet road or MTB conditions.

White Lightning Epic chain lube.

I second that - and have not experienced any wax build up.

I clean my chain every 300km or so with parrafine and have had no wax build problems at all.

CAADman2007-08-10 04:03:44

Q20 is not a lubricant. It is a cleaner.

Washing your chain with parraffin only WILL be detremental to proper lubrication. The "fatty" residue that stays behind when the solvents evaporate will dillute and change the viscosity of your lubricant. If and when you use parraffin or any petroleum based solvent you must wash the chain first with a grease cutting soap. Sunshine Liquid Dish washer does this quite well. Parraffin removes the wax buildup created by White lightning. With Squirt I only use Sunlight Liquid to wash the chain.

The prolonged contact with petroleum products can have a carsogenic effect.

That's scary. I also do the parrafin thing every two weeks. It gets the chain lekker clean. Then I lube with Raleigh PROBIKE cycle lube - recently changed from white lightning which I now use only on my mtn bike if I think I am gonna be in the wet. What do you think of the probike lube?

So are you saying that the parrafin can give me cancer??

That would be carcinogenic - apparently they are the same thing
MtbCpt2007-08-10 04:30:32

Maybe not carcinogenic but it is classified as an chemical to avoid. I confused Aprabens with Petrolatum. Use parraffin but use it with care

Parabens:These synthetic preservatives include four classes--methyl,propyl,butyl,and ethyls.Allergic reactions & skin rashes have been attributed to these common chemicals.

Petrolatum:Also known as petroleum and paraffin jelly,this mineral oil interferes with your skin's own moisturizing ability.It leads todry skin & chapping,and can suffocate & clog pores,eventually enlarging your pores altogether.

Parabens Cancer link

Earlier this week researchers for the Cancer Research Campaign said that pollution could have contributed to a dramatic rise in the number of testicular cancer cases in England and Wales.

Scientists for the campaign are now investigating the role of oestrogen as a trigger for the cancer.

Meanwhile, scientists for the US Environmental Protection Agency plan to investigate up to 87,000 chemicals to see if they mimic the effects of oestrogen

tee heee all that I can see is that it may block your pores..... the nose is a pore is it not.... albeit a large pore...... yup your nose may block up and disppear..... nah......... nobody will notice the difference!!!!!!!!!