Kashechkin tests positive for blood doping

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tour07/tour0715/fs039tn.jpg

Astana suffered another blow Wednesday when Kazakh Andrej Kashechkin

tested positive for a homologus blood transfusion following an unexpected

control on August 1 in Belek, Turkey. Astana issued a statement saying

Kashechkin was suspended effective immediately while waiting for the analysis

of the B sample.

27 year-old Kashechkin's positive test further damages the reputation

of an already vulnerable team, however management says the news only strengthens

their resolve to "set up drastic measures for clean cycling."

"It shows that the UCI does a good job," said French Anti-Doping

Agency president Pierre Bordry to Reuters by telephone. "I

think one rider being tested positive for this kind of doping is a lot,

two is too much. It is quite dreadful to see that in some teams, there

is this kind of practice."

Star Alexander Vinokourov also tested

positive during Stage 16 of the Tour de France for homologus blood

doping. The day after, his entire team, including Kashechkin, withdrew

from the Tour. Homologus doping involves the transfer of blood from another

person. Vinokourov was fired from Astana following a positive B sample

test, but he has maintained his innocence.

Astana had suspended itself from racing for the month of August, although

team members were scheduled for a training

camp in Switzerland to keep its riders in shape from August 11 - 24.

Kashechkin was among the riders scheduled to participate prior to his

positive test. Riders were expected to undergo various medical and psychological

tests, and the team is planning to announce "new directives."

Ek wonder of die soutmyn strafkampe in Siberie nog daar is want ek vermoed dit is dalk waarheen Alexander Vinokourov en Andrey Kashechkin op pad heen gaan wees!!!!!!!!

again...and people are STILL surprised ??

The fact of the matter is you should not dope. But what surprised me is why dope whilst training in Turkey of all places (Probably thought the chances of getting tested there is low). Well, I am aware that some of them dope to get stronger and this is mostly done it training but the TDF is over, time to rest and take a break??!!@.

Furthermore, this just adds a lot more fuel to Vino's positive test indicating that someone taught them how to do it. They are dirty Thumbs%20Down You would think they would be more careful given what is at stake after Vino got caught.

And it is just sad that someone, so young with so much talent would just go and throw it away like this. It does not make sense.

epoh2007-08-09 07:05:29

The fact of the matter is you should not dope. But what surprised me is why dope whilst training in Turkey of all places (Probably thought the chances of getting tested there is low). Well' date=' I am aware that some of them dope to get stronger and this is mostly done it training but the TDF is over, time to rest and take a break??!!@.

[/quote']

The TDF is not the only race on the calendar for these guys.

There is still the Tour of Spain, The World Championships and some very big one day races left.

The training / racing these guys do, also impacts on next year and the year after etc. and they keep that in mind all the time.

Hey, the doping's getting really bad. Sports illustrated has an article "Silence is golden"... scary - this happened at one track race. A riders heard a whisper, testing tonight. So they collected money into an envelope, and went to warmup, and handed the caretaker a bribe. Just when testing was supposed to be done all power were cut at the venue, ... no lights, no testing nothing. Critical moment passed for testing. And this was in 1985!!! So ya, maybe they should have a look at management and a lot of others.

And their kit sponsor is withdrawing from the squad aswell. So now they have nothing to ride in or on.