What does our pro earn?

wheels

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After months of negotiations i managed to double my fee from my team next year to 2 bags of oranges a monthThumbs%20Up 

Does anyone kno what a pro in S A earn a month? 

Any one who is paid for doing something is regarded as a Professional.

If you are a Pro rider and your contract is worth R534 889 over a full year then the answer is R44 574.92

When I returned from Belgium a few years ago I was offered R1500 pm for one team and R2000pm for another. And I got a top 10 place in every race.

I couldn't even make rent with that so I ha to move back to PE.
OcTaLL2007-08-13 10:51:00

There were people in the teams which NEVER beat me, and still don't. It's all about consistancy. The worst of all is that I was paid 2000 euro as a dom. shows you what a cyclist is worth in SA, if you don't know the right people, nothing.

octall what team did you ride for. didnt no there were pother south africans riding overseas for european teams.

what country were you based in.

It was a club team in Belgium, Van Eyck-Josan and I was invited again this year for a German feeding team but nobody could help me with a VISA so I'm stuck here. I needed R30000 in my bank account to get a tourist VISA but well, don't have that kind of cash.

You could probably earn more than the average SA pro by waitering at Mugg & Bean regularly, but being a small time SA pro provides you with the opportunity to work yourself up the ladder. I gather the guys on MTN/Microsoft get decent salaries, and the guys on Barloworld cannot receive less than a certain minimum wage that applies to Pro Continental teams (I think something like 26 000 Euro per year). I've heard that Robbie earned R4 million per year at Phonak (not sure if this was accurate or not).

The thing was that I was actually prepared to ride for that amount to work myself up, but in stead they went with 19 year old boys who couldn't even stay with the bunch, and since then they gave up cycling.

Remember my name, I don't ride for a pro team, I ride on the university - NMMU team with some very talented guys, one being Conrad Viljoen. But as we are here in PE nobody cares and it costs alot to ride all the races in JHB, so we never get to ride these races.

If anybody wants to sponsor, sponsor our team and we'll beat all the big guys, the talent is there.

It is really rediculous what the teams in SA pay their riders, if you think what they have to do to win races.

Octall... confidence is good, but over confidence is not always the right thing!

I can garuntee you, if i sponsor your team, you wont just come up to JHB and beat all the big guns!!!

NO NO