Bike rack for Land rover Defender

ivor123

Hi

I am quite new to the sport so i don't know all the gadgets act,I am looking for a bike rack that will fit my Landy,the problem that i have is that my spare wheel is at the back so i cant fit a normal rack and i dont want to pay R4000 for those fancy ones that goes on to your Tow bar.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks

I have a curvy Holdfast rack gathering dust in my garage. It fitted on my Land Rover Disco until I rolled it. It fits 2 bikes, and needs the bit that attaches to the towbar, as that went to the scrap yard with the Landy...

Make me a reasonable offer, and it's yours. PM me if you're interested.

P.S. The curvy part is to get around the spare wheel... The agent is in Midrand, not sure of the price for the replacement tow bar plate.

I have a Thule which fits directly onto my spare wheel of my vehicle and carries 2 bikes. I also reinforced the spare wheel bracket to make it stronger. Got it from Thule agents, Load and Go (021 424 5823) in Cape Town.

Thing to remember on the Landy's is to check that the bikes wheels are not near the exhaust - you can cook the rubber. If the rack is outside the spare, then this should not be a problem. else bend the exhaust to point away from the bikes (boiled a tyre on the way to a Sani2C...)

You get a Thule rack that actually clips onto the spare wheel.

Check out Thule's , as mentioned.

But you won't find what you are looking for if you search under LR Devender.........

Welcome to the hub.

what do car do you plan on transporting your defender with ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sharp.....

now you going to tell me 97% of all Landies ever made are still on the road....

The other 3% have reached their destination....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sharp.....

now you going to tell me 97% of all Landies ever made are still on the road....

The other 3% have reached their destination....

Couldn't work out how to attach the image, but mine is one of the 3% no longer on the road, also didn't reach its destination though... Right rear blowout at 120km/h en route to Durban in top heavy Land Rover = rollover... So I "upgraded" to a Mitsubishi... :D

what do car do you plan on transporting your defender with ?

Ja ja!I don't need a other car.My baby gives me no trouble.If you want something to work hard for you,you should just look after it!

post-13609-033550100 1278332961.jpg

Its Ok Ivor...

You will recover from being a proud land rover owner. I drove my 110 till the mats started growing, grass, weeds all sorts, I loved that car to bits, but then it dropped me in Bots, lost an injector, dropped me again going to work, blew its radiators, and its drive couple bearings died, on a trip. The thing only had 45 000 kms

It that feeling when you drive pass another Defender owner, you only wave cause you both made the same mistakes and understand the pain you experience whilst driving.

Then I bought a Toyota, and have only ever had a puncture in 200 000 kms.

:unsure: :P

Blah blah blah! We all like the cars we drive and it is a matter of choice. This a a cycling forum now stop comparing the size of you manhoods!

Ivor - get a "Holdfast' towbar extension - the longest one they have will clear the rear tyre and then you can use whatever rack you are happy with - Thule seems to be best value for money - I bought the 4 bike one and never has a day's trouble. Do a Google search and find Holdfast website - most bike shops will be able to get one for you.

DO NOT MOUNT YOUR BIKE RACK ON A DEFENDER DOOR - The wheel alone on these is a design flaw - the bike rack will warp you rear door and give endless trouble.

Blah blah blah! We all like the cars we drive and it is a matter of choice. This a a cycling forum now stop comparing the size of you manhoods!

Ivor - get a "Holdfast' towbar extension - the longest one they have will clear the rear tyre and then you can use whatever rack you are happy with - Thule seems to be best value for money - I bought the 4 bike one and never has a day's trouble. Do a Google search and find Holdfast website - most bike shops will be able to get one for you.

DO NOT MOUNT YOUR BIKE RACK ON A DEFENDER DOOR - The wheel alone on these is a design flaw - the bike rack will warp you rear door and give endless trouble.

Thanks i will look in to it!

No - the whole Defender is a design flaw ;)

Lets get this thread back on track, and not down the Landy bashing track...

What bike do you ride? Was thinking about my rack, and that it would not actually fit my bike. The top tube is not round, and the brackets are designed for round frames... I already needed to cut out the rubbers for the "oversized" tubes on my Giant. Now I ride a Merida and it has more square than round toptube, I would not be able to modify it to fit.

Also, the suggestion from Moegoe is a good one, that rack allows easy access to the back door of the Landy, and as you have a SWB, we know access is a problem...