Mtb with power meter

Imtb

Hi - first time on this forum. I have a Giant Anthem 2 with disc brakes. Need to start training with a PowerTap. Is it worth buying a cheaper hardtail to do my training on with a power meter. A road bike isn't an option as I spend alot of time on dust roads. Would a heavier bike actually help increase power? Any ideas - I am 46 and am competitive in Vets...but need the edge power training has to offer.

Guest colonel

A heavier bike will def help with your training 1st off but on the power meter go into the member section and PM Bruce he will answer all your Power training questions.

Hi Imtb, welcome to the hub. Have a look at the Ergomo power meter as well. I went to the Allen Hunter power training seminaar at Cycle Lab, and Allen said he rode through lots of rain & mud in a MTB race in South America with his ergomo, including being submerged in mud almostg up to the handlebar. According to him the ergomo never missed a beat, so it may be worthwile for you to have a look at it.

nope' date=' the bottom of the range is R15k.
[/quote']

Ouch! That is a bit steep! You can almost buy 3 powertaps for that price!

Hi, just bear in mind that the PowerTap does not work with a disc break, i.e. you will need to put a rim break on the back and probably replace your rear rim. I also suspect that the Anthem does not have a rear rim break attachment.

Sorry if this is bad news Confused!

Thought of getting a road bike but it would mean that for half my riding I would be without the power meter, no races either - so I have an old Giant Iguana - took it into the bike shop and they felt it would be ideal - will turn a few heads with a 13year old frame! And a PowertAP - but thats what I can afford at the moment

I have been using an Ergono on my road bike for 6 months now and love it!  I am getting Ergomo's for my mtb's.  For an additional bike you use the same computer and only get additional Ergomo bb's (around R6k I think).

I know one other person using an ergomo on his mtb and works perfectly so far.  Only hassle is you need 68mm bb (had to buy a new frame and will probably shave down my other bb shell) and Isis style cranks ie no XTR.

The Ergomo computer is brilliant and the bundled in Training peaks software is the best in the business.

Don't do it imtb,you are just wasting your money.If you realy have made up your mind i would defenately go with the ergomo and NOT the powertap.Have ridden both and the ergomo is far more waterproof than the powertap.In fact on my road bike the powertap stops working if i ride in the mist let alone riding in the rain.The first little puddle you ride in on your mtb you might as well throw the powertap away,even if you got one for cheap it's still money that will be wasted.Rather take the money and upgrade your mtb.