Why am I breaking chains?

RobMobius

I keep breaking chains. I have done my homework and checked all the usual things.

1. My chain is not stretched at all.

2. Every link is lubed and clean and moving well.

3. My chain rings are not worn.

4. I have new XT bits that are working great.

5. Derailleurs and cages are all str8.

I weigh 77kg but have legs like toothpicks so I rely on cadence not power so I don't think I am capable of "mashing"!

My theory is that maybe I am gear shifting more than most and maybe the chain gets hung up in a change and that stresses a link. Plausible? I am certainly not aware of bad changes but I suppose there is the odd rougher shift. But I am sure everyone has these

The breaks present as both sides of the outside of the link being split apart if that provides any clue to the techies out there?

Help!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimano recommend that a new chain pin is used every time you split or re-join your chain. Your chain if its a Shimano should not break and if you continue to have a problem call 0861-SHIMANO and speack to Jade

rgds sm

the chains are not being put on correctly.....good luck to anyone who thinks they can break a chain Wink

Must be the set up as pointed out and being of the not light variety i have yet to break a chain and regulary change up and down

Although I have only managed to break a chain once in my years of MTB'ing I have seem many,many broken chains on rides and races suggesting it is not that difficult to break a chain . I got two theories on this and although it is not scientificaly proven I will stick to my believes .

It all comes down to how you change gears if and when you change gears . I think changing gears under load is a BAD idea . I have heard people bragging that their XTR or X0 will change on uphills no problem . Very nice I say but I don't think it is such a good idea .

Although the people in the white coats say that running cross chain is all ok , I also do believe that it is very bad for your DT . Go and stand behind your bike when you running big front and top back and tell me the chain runs true !!! It must put huge strain on your chain link cycling like that .

DR, you spreader of infinite knowledge, I agree with you.  Another thing is your lube and dirt on the chain.  It works as a grinding paste and will form "clogs" which prevents your chain from bending as it should.

I crunch big gears (I know I shouldn't!), I weigh 86kg's and wear my chains out after a measly 1000k's on the mtb, but I have never broken a chain!  Not sure how, but I run a plain Shimano LX chain with SRAM link.  Works for me...

I tried to fit a Shimano link pin once, but I got bored. SRAM links must be the best things EVER.
Willehond2007-08-10 00:49:16

I keep breaking chains. I have done my homework and checked all the usual things.
Help!

If we assume that your chain was correctly assembled at the join in the first place, then none of the reasons above will cause chains to break. The only reason you are breaking chains is because of bad shifting. You must learn to "unload" during shifting. If you look at how a bike shifts gears you'll come to understand that there is a time when the chain is between two sprockets and in the loaded zone at the top of the sprockets that cannot be healthy for a chain. This is when the chain breaks, and breaks like you describe.

Ask someone to show you how they shift by "unloading" and you'll soon get the knack. You'll even be able to do this standing.

I post on quite a few sporting forums. But I must hand it to you "Hubbers" this is by far the most active and helpful forum I have come across.

Thanks so much. In response to the suggestions,

Chain has been fixed by my LBS

It is a shimano HG XT chain

Nope its not a10 speed but a real MTB doing real events!

I try to "unload" during shifting but I am sure my technqiue needs work, any suggestions on that?

I will give Shimano a call as maybe its just a bum chain.

My nervousness is that I replace the chain only to break the next one as the chain is only the symptom not the cause, and I just break the next one as well.

Give a power stroke followed by a slower pedal of the cranks while changing gears . You will basicly freewheel when the gear change happens .

We used to break chains on our tandem due to variuos factors.

We had a kempekkernoglia groupset on that was just not capable of handling the stresses and strains of tandem riding. This was also aggravated by the fact that our gearchanges was not well coordinated. One or both of us did not power down during changes.

When I changed to a Tiagra groupset the whole issue improved. I still broke chains but this changed totally when we installed a long cage XT derraileur on the back and a 105 dearraileur on the front. Since them we have also become a more competent tandem team.

The whole minsdset also changed when Martin told me to take it more casual and relax, and also plan ahead when to make our gearchange. Rather shift on the downhills and spin untill we need the power instead of trying to shift whilst going up a hill and under power.

Correct setting of the derraileurs and and control cables and a clean and lubricated chain is also a must. Since we changed from White Lightning (a hard wax based lubricant) to Squirt things are 100% better. Squirt given a more relaxed and loose well lubricated chain, especially during cold conditions.

Correct fixing of the chain is also a must and I will recommed an SRAM link to break the chain if you clean often. They work well with Shimano chains. I do not break the chain anymore bit wash the chain with a BBB clamshell type chain washer. I wash the chain regularly using common Sunlight Liquid in the washer.

On the MTB tandem we used one chain ..... it never broke and I retired it after 3500km on the tandem...... quite exceptional for an Tandem working under wet and grimy conditions. We were in Mozambique during that time.

RobMobius, china, stop pushing the weights in the gym!!!  You have to plenty much power!!!!!!

"Soft Pedalling"while changing is a technique which if you practise becomes automatic and will preserve the life of chain and components.

I agree with DR.No matter what the pundits say crossed chaining will hammer your chainrings and sprockets.The chain links and plates are put under enormous stress and will go eventually.
Kranswurm2007-08-10 02:37:28