GT Zaskar Pro 2009 or Mongoose Meteore Team 2008??

Good Afternoon all!

I am looking for my next MTB upgrade, and i have come down to a final decision between the GT Zaskar Pro 2009 or the Mongoose Meteore Team 2008.

pricing is pretty much identical, but im struggling to choose which is the better option..

what are your guys thoughts?

thanks!

GT...........

cool, thanks for the response. is there any reason why you say GT, or is it just a better bike?

thanks again.

cool, thanks for the response. is there any reason why you say GT, or is it just a better bike?

thanks again.

Like the stiffness of the frame and they are bulletproof. have owned 2 myself. have riden the Mongoose but not the Team and was not really blown away. Nothing taken from Mongoose, they make good frames. GT is just different.

Like the stiffness of the frame and they are bulletproof. have owned 2 myself. have riden the Mongoose but not the Team and was not really blown away. Nothing taken from Mongoose, they make good frames. GT is just different.

cool, cool. i also see that the mongoose uses SRAM, where the GT is full XT, also a difference on the shock, mongoose has a fox F100 RLC and the GT has a Fox 32 RL.

is there any benefit from either of those, or is it also pretty much the same?

Unfotunately never ridden the GT, but on about my 7th Mongoose metore (I just cant resist getting the new ones! - even after a foray into a few other brands). Probably one of the best handling bikes around, and can handle me at 90kgs! Frame is also lighter than the GT. I also have a personal preference for SRAM - shifting is more exact and firmer, and performs better when dirty. Fox's RLC forks do also have a bit more adjustment, but performance is similar.

So in my opinion....MONGOOSE! (presume u getting it off the Obike sale - damn good price!)

(And just got myself the 2010 meteore with full XX - she's a beauty!)

I`ve had both and i`ll go with Mongoose.

The GT is very hard riding, where the Goose has a little more flex in the rear.

Dont get me wrong, the GT is a good bike but I believe the spray job on the 2008 Goose is much better than the GT and the frame is lighter.

It felt too me as if the GT was a more aggresive position and it hurt my back a bit, the Goose is more relaxed and woks better for me.

You cant go wrong with either, but I would say the goose it better looking and easier to ride on for those 4 hour rides.

thanks for the comments guys! really helps, from what iv read the Mongoose sounds like the way to go, as im looking for comfort and lightness.

so unless anyone else has any pearls of wisdom i reckon il be getting me a mongoose :)

the reason im now leaning towards the goose, is because DarrenG stated that the frame is good for heavier guys, i tip the scales at around 84kgs. so i dont want to get the GT if its going to result in a splene shattering ride (considering races like the crater cruise and karoo to coast)

Unfotunately never ridden the GT, but on about my 7th Mongoose metore (I just cant resist getting the new ones! - even after a foray into a few other brands). Probably one of the best handling bikes around, and can handle me at 90kgs! Frame is also lighter than the GT. I also have a personal preference for SRAM - shifting is more exact and firmer, and performs better when dirty. Fox's RLC forks do also have a bit more adjustment, but performance is similar.

So in my opinion....MONGOOSE! (presume u getting it off the Obike sale - damn good price!)

(And just got myself the 2010 meteore with full XX - she's a beauty!)

thanks a stack for the advise! have ordered my Mongoose off the Obike sale (damn hot pricing indeed!)

expecting delivery in 2 days :) :) :) :)

I would have taken the Mongoose aswell. Just for that fork. The RLC is sweet and not too heavy for what you get.

the reason im now leaning towards the goose, is because DarrenG stated that the frame is good for heavier guys, i tip the scales at around 84kgs. so i dont want to get the GT if its going to result in a splene shattering ride (considering races like the crater cruise and karoo to coast)

I know you already ordered your bike, but I just want to comment on the weight thing. I weigh about 85kg' and ride the GT Zaskar Pro. Trust me, the frame can handle it!!!

But one thing is for sure - the Zaskar is a raceing machine and thu harder and more unforgiving. But I have done longer races on it without any discomfort. But then again, what work for me, might not work for you.