How to put a Granny gear on a Road wheel ?

Lounge Lizard

On a 9sp ultegra road cluster/hub - what is the easy cheap way to add a granny gear ?

I did the Jock before with a 52/42 and 23/11 gear combinations - but found Boulders takes too much out of my legs. So, I have thought of trying to find a temp solution for this ride.

I have a 53/39 chain ring now - but don't think that will be enough.

I do not want to spend R300-600 on a new cluster - for such limited use.

Will a MTB cluster fit the Road hub ?

Will the jockey be able to reach the larger MTB sprocket ?

Are cheap clusters available with something like 32/11 combinations ?

Any Ideas please ?

I havn't found any road clusters with more than 30T cogs.

I believe it is possible to fit a mtb cluster to a roadie hub, but someone has to confirm this.

Don't know if rear derailleur will work with bigger cogs, but you will need a longer chain, unless you shift "smartly" during the race.

A granny gear is only on a crank, not a cassette. If you would like to go bigger at the back you will need a derailleur with a longer cage and a longer chain. Otherwise you can just look at a compack crank set.

Will a MTB cluster fit the Road hub ?

Will the jockey be able to reach the larger MTB sprocket ?

Are cheap clusters available with something like 32/11 combinations ?

Any Ideas please ?

9speed mtb/road, cassette is the same, will go straight on the freewheel, you will need a long cage rear dérailleur, and probably a longer chain. Wont technically be a granny gear, but will be a cheap bail-out option.

Guest Big H

We did a Kremetart on a 11-32 MTB cassette. We have a long cage LX derraileur on the back. It worked but your gearing on the flatter sections goes for a loop.