Silverback Mercury vs Giant Anthem

KevinG

I have been looking at buying a new Giant Anthem X1. While doing my homework I discovered that I can get a Silverback Mercury 1 for almost 13k cheaper. The only difference in spec is RoxShox Recon vs SID and the Anthem has XTR RD and the Silverback has SLX brake levers. The rest is the same: XT wheelset, XT crank, XT FD, XT Shifters and Fox RP23 rear shock. Is the Giant that much better to warrant a 13k diffrence in price? Who has a Silverback and what is your opinion.

I only have an entry level MTB, but from my experience you are paying more for BRAND.

My GIANT Rock was R4,5K and I can get a similar spec bike now for my wife for R2,4K. I anyway have upgrade half my bikes components so buying cheaper would have been better.

I started with a 2010 silverback sierra, but with my renosterveldMTB and whines2whales entries came the realization that I will need a full suspension so I bought an anthem x frame and built the parts over

The anthem x frame cost R10,500 and the sierra cost R11,000 and it’s spec’d between an anthem x1 and 2

so I would buy the silverback and the anthem x frame. Build the parts from the silverback onto the anthem x and sell the silverback frame and maybe upgrade the brakes or the shock

I agree with Giant. Have a good look at the Morewood Zula. All my mates who ride them are loving the bikes.

I have been looking at buying a new Giant Anthem X1. While doing my homework I discovered that I can get a Silverback Mercury 1 for almost 13k cheaper. The only difference in spec is RoxShox Recon vs SID and the Anthem has XTR RD and the Silverback has SLX brake levers. The rest is the same: XT wheelset, XT crank, XT FD, XT Shifters and Fox RP23 rear shock. Is the Giant that much better to warrant a 13k diffrence in price? Who has a Silverback and what is your opinion.

Hi,

I'm actually on the market and interested buy those 2 bikes.

The best prices I found are:

R28k for the Giant Anthem X1

R27k for the Silverback mercury one

So I'm wondering what R13k difference you're talking about...but if you can help us to find a good bargain, please let us know, I'm very interested!

Hi,

So I'm wondering what R13k difference you're talking about...but if you can help us to find a good bargain, please let us know, I'm very interested!

Rather go for the Anthem X2, I can get you an X2 for about R21K, it has a full XT groupset, the only upgrade needed is to replace the wheels with XT or similar tubeless wheels.

@lost frog, I was at City Cycles (Canal Walk) the other day and they told me the Mercury 1 is R19,500. I hope they gave me the right price...

I'm also looking at the Felt Virtue 2, R19000.

Whould the Specialized Epic be an option as well when deciding between these bikes?

Hi,

From Bicyclings website and you should get 5% off from your LBS. The Mercury 1 XTR is R30 k

Bike infoCategory Full Suspension : Race

Brand Silverback

Model Mercury 1

Price R19945.00

Frame material G2 force super light aluminium with

Fork Rock shock recon sl solo air 100mm

Wheelset Shimano xt tubeless wheel set wtb weirwolf 2.1 tubeless tires

Components Shimano xt 9-speed shadow tech with rapid-fire plus xt shifters shimano xt crank set, shimano slx hy

I got a price on a Mercury 1 of R16500, but that's not the top of the range with XTR unit.

Cycle Factory has a special where you can buy a mercury2 for R9999 though I think its a very limited stock offer.