Need to replace Fox stanctions?

Pappa Bear

Hi,

I have a Fox 36 fork, have been using it for about 3-4 years. The fork was and is service about twice a year....

I thin the stanctions might need replacement as it is starting to show discolaration (the gold colour is starting to turn silver on the stanctions)..... The fork also feels "sticky" when pressed down - you can feel it grabbing the dust seals and then letting go and then it grabs again and lets go (if pressed down - don't feel this when riding).

My question:

1) How do I know if the coating on the stanctions is worn out?

2) Any idea of price if I want to replace the stanctions with crown and steerer obviously

3) Is it common for a forks stanctions to be worn out?

Thanks!

PB

Good question.

in my opinion, i cant see that the discolaration(ie small amount of wear) influence the feel that much. it is only a few microns thick in any case. In my humble opinion, it might the oils seals that needs to be replaced. they dont get replaced unless they are shot.

Replace oil and dust seals and get a full rebuild of outher seals (o rings) . it will cost less and i have not had any problems with my fox talas.

Hi, Here is some info.

1) U know they are worn out when the gold wears off - this often happens cos the foam rings are dry. Also sometimes u can see a change in colour but its not too bad so its fine to use however if u can feel the groves and it is leaking it must be changed. The bushing in the fork would also need to be done. Fork should go to Fox themselves for this kind of service.

2) The top section of the forks are generally about R2500 but depends on model and year etc. thats just a round number for the stention. U can expect between R2500 - R3500 depending on mark-ups and cost of parts for ur particular fork!

3) Yes it is a common thing. Bushing should be replaced every 2-3 services atleast. A service meaning that new fluid, foam rings, and dust wipers are replaced.

Hope that helps

Hi, Here is some info.

1) U know they are worn out when the gold wears off - this often happens cos the foam rings are dry. Also sometimes u can see a change in colour but its not too bad so its fine to use however if u can feel the groves and it is leaking it must be changed. The bushing in the fork would also need to be done. Fork should go to Fox themselves for this kind of service.

Stanchions are anodised for several reasons. Anodising is extremely hard (second only to diamonds) and thus long-lasting in a friction application. Also, the anodising is manipulated so that it is not perfectly smooth. This helps retain a one-molecule layer of oil that slips past the seal. This lubricates the seal for longer life.

Reading between all your SMS-language lines I take it the grooves you're talking about are vertical wear lines, not anodising roughness. These wear lines are from grit working through the anodising as the fork travels up and down. Fork seals can obviously not seal extreme grooves and oil will start to leak there. If the leak is bad, replace the stancions.

No need to send it to Fox, unless you can afford large bills and long downtime as the fork travels to Cape Town and back at your expense. Many people in many centres are perfectly capable of servicing forks. It is pretty simple, actually.

3) Yes it is a common thing. Bushing should be replaced every 2-3 services atleast. A service meaning that new fluid, foam rings, and dust wipers are replaced.

Oh nonsense! Why would you want to replace bushings that frequently? With clean oil (from reasonably frequent servicing) they last a very, very long time. I don't know where you get this info from but if it is from the distributors, they are trying to screw the customer. If you made it up, well then you have your own reasons for that. I'll guess.

Hi,

I have a Fox 36 fork, have been using it for about 3-4 years. The fork was and is service about twice a year....

I thin the stanctions might need replacement as it is starting to show discolaration (the gold colour is starting to turn silver on the stanctions)..... The fork also feels "sticky" when pressed down - you can feel it grabbing the dust seals and then letting go and then it grabs again and lets go (if pressed down - don't feel this when riding).

My question:

1) How do I know if the coating on the stanctions is worn out?

2) Any idea of price if I want to replace the stanctions with crown and steerer obviously

3) Is it common for a forks stanctions to be worn out?

Thanks!

PB

Discolouration is a good indication that wear has set it. However, take a close look. Use a magnifying glass and see if the stanchions in the wear area are still as rough as elsewhere or is now smoothly polished. Smooth is bad in that it causes quicker wiper seal wear.

Yes, wear on friction items is common. However, the visible wear outside the fork may just be the tip of the iceberg. Open the fork up and have a look at the stanchions in their entirety. Usually they wear inside, especially on the lower left side where fork flex from disk brake application puts extra stress on the fork.

Just one skipped service can ruin a fork too. I come across a write-off in at least 10% of the forks we service.

No need to send it to Fox, unless you can afford large bills and long downtime as the fork travels to Cape Town and back at your expense. Many people in many centres are perfectly capable of servicing forks. It is pretty simple, actually.

Johan...you seem to know your stuff around bikes.

I use the older Fox F100 Terralogic fork (2006 I think). I'm not entirely happy with the performance and in particular the compression. (also feels 'sticky) I was told by the Agents that the I/V assembly on these forks gets exhausted through time and must be replaced. Alternatively, the cartridge. What is your take on this if you dont mind. Tks.

I'm not entirely happy with the performance and in particular the compression. (also feels 'sticky) I was told by the Agents that the I/V assembly on these forks gets exhausted through time and must be replaced. Alternatively, the cartridge. What is your take on this if you dont mind. Tks.

These Terralogic forks were never very intelligent and are quite dissappointing. I don't know what an I/V assembly is (outside of may jargon lexicon) and I don't understand the context of "exhausted" when it comes to mechanical parts.

What is wrong with the fork's compression? Terralogic forks were made to not compress freely like other forks and ignore certain bumps (Usually the ones you dont' want to ignore).

Most parts can be serviced and unless there is major damage to shafts and such, a good service with new O-rings and seals makes most forks behave like new again. Even that cartridge can be opened and refurbished. Find someone who understands that fork.

If a fork feels sticky, it almost certainly points to dirty wiper seals. Replace the lot.

These Terralogic forks were never very intelligent and are quite dissappointing. I don't know what an I/V assembly is (outside of may jargon lexicon) and I don't understand the context of "exhausted" when it comes to mechanical parts.

What is wrong with the fork's compression? Terralogic forks were made to not compress freely like other forks and ignore certain bumps (Usually the ones you dont' want to ignore).

Most parts can be serviced and unless there is major damage to shafts and such, a good service with new O-rings and seals makes most forks behave like new again. Even that cartridge can be opened and refurbished. Find someone who understands that fork.

If a fork feels sticky, it almost certainly points to dirty wiper seals. Replace the lot.

I/V..Inertia Valve system on these forks that controlls the Terralogic part.

Exhausted...to my understanding the Valve is busted. I had my dust cover seals replaced end of last year. The fork makes a 'squeaky' sound and is not very plush.

Probably best to have Omnico look at it. Tks.

If your LBS can service it have them give you a quote otherwise send your fork to Ruan at Spokeworx he is situated in Midrand

Anodising is extremely hard (second only to diamonds) and thus long-lasting in a friction application.

Now you are talking rubbish, sorry to say. Hard chrome might be close to second only to diamonds. Not too sure what finish is used on bicycle forks but it's not anodising thats for sure, my sadle bag wears out the anodising on my seat post.

Thanks to all!

I got my fork serviced by Spokeworx (Great guy and great service). Fork is running smooth again - but he confirmed that discoloration is starting but nothing to worry about yet.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

after each ride I normally spray a touch of ptfe spray at the base of the stanchion and give a couple of pumps to draw out dirt around the seals seems to work well