No More DISCO!!!!

BBJSportGuy

Tailwind Sports, owner and operator of the Discovery Channel team, announced Friday that they will cease operations at the end of the 2007  cycling season.

One of the most successful teams in the sport, Discovery and its predecessor, the US Postal Service Team, won eight of the last nine Tour de France races - seven consecutive from 1999-2005 with Lance Armstrong -and this year with Alberto Contador of Spain.

But Tailwind has been unable to sign a title sponsor for the 2008 season.

"This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de France success," team General Manager Bill Stapleton said.

"We were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however,  to end those discussions."

He added: "Tailwind has had an amazing ten years of success with US Postal and more recently Discovery Channel as its title sponsor. This is arguably the most successful sports franchise in the history of sport."

Team co-owner Armstrong added: "I don't think you have seen the last  of this organization in the sport but clearly things need to improve on  many levels, with a more unified front, before you would see us venture  back into cycling."

The Discovery Channel team will continue to race its full calendar of Pro Tour races including the final grand tour of the season, the Tour of Spain.

"This is arguably the most successful sports franchise in the history of sport"

Ummm - yeah - whatever....

Fantastic' date=' dont like American dopeheads. Contador going to?? [/quote']

Big%20smile - Yup, welcome to the club.!

As for Contador, I doubt he will get a ride unless he can do some major damage control - he has the "Sword of Damocles" hanging over his head now and I would guess its just a matter of time before it drops.!

I only feel sorry for Popo, because he is not American he has been treated disgracefully by this team, I only hope he finds a new team who will treat him like the class he is.!

As for Danielson, Hincappie, Contador and the rest - I say good riddance, I will be surprised if a team picks them up.

widget2007-08-11 02:29:22