Knysna sunday Hoekwil fall

Lounge Lizard

Does anyone know how the guy is that fell on the way down Hoekwil on Sunday. Not sure what time it was. I started in AC on a MTB (which I did the Saturday race on) so I was probably a bit slower than the rest of the buch – so I guess it must have been about 10 am ?

I was on my way up and stopped to help (and a lady behind me also stopped, but then hit the deck – failed to unclip in time!). So me and another guy started calling the help line on our cell phones. Just then the marshal lady from about 50 meters lower down arrived and took over the situation.

It was on about the second or third last curve, he fell on the left just off the road surface and must have been doing about 50km/h – the guy was just groaning, eyes shut and holding his chest – could not get him to talk – I guess broken ribs at least.

Anyone know who this was and how he is doing ?

Great.. So Im not guilty..

That hill was fast! shame hope oke is ok.. he must have slid a long way...

Did not get to slide much.... he went into the cliff face... it was unclear if he hit the cliff side due to not making the turn ....or if he came down first and then slid into the cliff wall... (eina !)

Yes, we ended up in the same ward in Knysna private hospital. I fell on the downhill into Sedgefield and he was in the ambulance when it picked me up. Could hardly breath. A broken rib had punctured his lung, but he was doing very well when I left hospital on Mon morning. Probably stayed one more day. He was from Joburg if I remember correctly and was planning to spend a week at the festival with his family after the race. They were there to support him.

Yes, we ended up in the same ward in Knysna private hospital. I fell on the downhill into Sedgefield and he was in the ambulance when it picked me up. Could hardly breath. A broken rib had punctured his lung, but he was doing very well when I left hospital on Mon morning. Probably stayed one more day. He was from Joburg if I remember correctly and was planning to spend a week at the festival with his family after the race. They were there to support him.

Thanks - glad to hear he received help in time ! He sounded if he could be dying !!

Hope he got his bike back ok

I had a major wipe out in Simonstown (ARGUS) and when the ambulance did not have any arrangements for my bike - I refused to go with them (they asked me to sign paperwork to cover them)

But it has made me wonder how many guys are reunited with their bikes - when only ambulance staff are there - not event marshalls.

Great.. So Im not guilty..

That hill was fast! shame hope oke is ok.. he must have slid a long way...

Bos, not you again, man... :)

I didnt see it ok, and If I did I would have stopped! stopped to see If he didnt have some gu's on him cause I needed them..

:P

Only joking. On a serious note We dont realise how dangerous our sport can be. I meen thursday night I was climbing the cableway road 7pm in the eve in the dark(with lights ofcourse) One comes down that hill at pace! something could just oneday go wrong. I ride bymyself almost every day and how often do I even take a cellphone...How will people know who you are If youre knocked out! Im taking phone with from now on... every ride.

Its not the times we are safe we have to think about, its that one incedent that might happen, Like the gentleman here, that one crash in 10 000 rides..can change your life for the worse..

Did I mention that when I went to help the guy and asked what happened.. he tried communicating....by writing something....in his blood on the road....could not made it out but it was just one word....looked sos or bos ?......

Thanks - glad to hear he received help in time ! He sounded if he could be dying !!

Hope he got his bike back ok

I had a major wipe out in Simonstown (ARGUS) and when the ambulance did not have any arrangements for my bike - I refused to go with them (they asked me to sign paperwork to cover them)

But it has made me wonder how many guys are reunited with their bikes - when only ambulance staff are there - not event marshalls.

I must compliment the Knyskna guys: My bike and all my stuff - helmet, shoes, gloves, glasses, water bottles, the whole lot - was kept perfectly together with my race number and my wife picked everything up at the tent without any hassles. Even my mushed up banana was still there!

Thanks guys!