Hydraulic Shimano Deore question

bat man

I have a pair of Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes and the front one I can only describe as having a "clicking" noise coming from the from brake lever. A symptom of this clicking noise is reduced braking performance. What may the problem?

Thanks

"clicking noise" weird when last have you bled your brakes?

I bled them two days ago with Shimano mineral oil. I have also done it a number of times and this has never happened. More detail, it only occurs when the brake lever is pulled tightly but not to the extend of killing it.

There are two causes of clicking that I've seen on Deore brakes, namely:

1. Air in the brake system

2. Sticky pistons

I think your problem is more than likely one of those, in that order.

For air in the system, bleed them (which it sounds like you've done right).

The easy test you can use for sticky pistons, is to pour some water over/into the brake pad area while you are repeatedly pulling on the lever. If the noise suddenly goes away, you need to clean them. Do this by removing the wheel and brake pads, then pull the lever to get the pistons out A BIT (not too much or you'll push them out and have brake fluid coming out). Then use a rag, or something small like toothbrush to clean them.

Check ur brake pads for wear - I just a weird sound on my Hope mini's, the pads had worn down and the spring that keeps the pads apart was making contact with the disk and catching in the holes in the disk, causing a mechanical clicking sound, maybe the problem here?

There are two causes of clicking that I've seen on Deore brakes, namely:

1. Air in the brake system

2. Sticky pistons

I think your problem is more than likely one of those, in that order.

For air in the system, bleed them (which it sounds like you've done right).

The easy test you can use for sticky pistons, is to pour some water over/into the brake pad area while you are repeatedly pulling on the lever. If the noise suddenly goes away, you need to clean them. Do this by removing the wheel and brake pads, then pull the lever to get the pistons out A BIT (not too much or you'll push them out and have brake fluid coming out). Then use a rag, or something small like toothbrush to clean them.

The reason I rebled my brakes was exactly what you said in 2. My brakes were constantly rubbing and constant readjusting did not help. I removed the pads, pulled the lever, forcing the pistons apart and I removed the dirt and greased them with a little WD40. I put everything back together and discovered I had pushed the pistons out a bit and was thus the reason for the rebleeding. I removed the air bubbles over 2 days however I will have another go to see if there are any more, if not what do I next?

Thanks