Locked suspension fork

niklasvm

Hi

I got a new Giant Terrago mtb about 3 months ago. I've done about 700km on it and taken it through all different terrains, mud, rain, etc. Yesterday on a rainy ride my fork locked out and would not compress anymore. Th funny thing though is when I brake the shock compresses quite easily, just not when going over bumps or when I put weight on it. Lets just say the ride was a lot rougher than usual.

Does anyone have an idea on what could cause this? Is it possible for the locking mechanism to fail? Or can this happen if dirt or water gets in?

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand how it's locked when you put weight on it, but it compresses when you brake? Surely you use more force when you put weight on it?

Or let's wait to see what fork

Suntour XCR-LO

I know it doesn't make any sense, the only thing i can think of is that its the different force that act on it when you brake to when you use it normally.

Suntour fork's dampeners are sealed cartiridges

It could be blown or the bushes could be dirty I'd say take it to a shop and have them look at it

Sounds like dirty bushes, same problem I had on my bike - SUNTOUR-V2. Your fork is just one up on mine.

After I cleaned the bushes, no more problems for quiet some time, but I must say that my fork is no longer in a happy state (no more trails for now) and am replacing mine.

A friend of mine has an XCR, and just about every time it gets wet he has to service it, because it locks up solid. It's become so bad he has bandages around the stanchions as a temporary method of keeping it dry, which seems to work for him - student budget preventing an upgrade! However, I don't understand why braking would cause it to compress rather than putting your weight on it.

Check if you have some play on your shock. Could be that the stanchions are worn. But also service them yourself first to check what dirt has cacked on the inside (talking from experience with mine).

ok so I took the bike in yesterday and the technicians said they've never seen a fork do this before. They're sending it back to the factory. The fork does come standard on many bikes so hopefully it was just a once off problem

Its always comforting to hear the 'I have never seen this before' comment!

Agree, they probably mumbled to themselves: "I've never seen this before, look at its condition, the last dozen where totally screwed compared to this one :) "

Got the bike back after fork was sent away. Its fixed now but the manufacturer didn't give a reason. At least its working again.