Bigger MTB Chainring to keep up with roadies?

Bennie Dikwiel

My MTB has a standard 9 speed 11-32 teeth sprocket and the chainwheel is a 104mm 4 hole 22-32-44 teeth configuration. When I occasionally ride with low profile slicks in road events I tend to run out of gears trying to stay with a bunch. Does anyone know if the Shimano M510 48 teeth(as apposed to 44 teeth) chainring replacement would make much of a difference? 4 more teeth = 9% less cadence?

The effect of challenging roadies on a Mountain bike, during a road event is just so much better than on a road bike! :D

Rather get a tripple road crank set,i am sure that there must be a few for sale here and get slicks.

I have a brand new never been used Middleburn 48 ring that i got myself in case i was going to do the argus on my mtb if you want.Looking for R350 incl postage.

post-540-040825600 1278856812.jpg

post-540-028606000 1278856829.jpg

I have an 8spd which is 28-38-48 also with a 11-32 and it really makes a big difference on flats. But what I've found that has helped me the most where fitting better slicks (I use the Town & Countrys 1.9").

But the problem is when you hit those uphills and thats why I'm upgrading to 22-32-44 soon.

But if you do plan to use both chainsets then get yourself some of these to quickly change your chainset/cranks:

Brand-X Self Extracting Square Taper Crank Bolts: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1201

I might keep my old chainset and use it on the long road and use the new one on the trails (and my commute which has hectic mountain goat uphills).

I have done quiet a few fun road races with my MTB with slicks. Great fun and damn good work out. I changed to a 48/38/28 chain rings and 11/21 cluster. It makes a big difference having the extra speed. Road races done at an average speed of 34km/ph requires a lot of fast peddaling and that is when the 48/11 helps. I also added a CS600 Power Meter onto the MTB. I use it for training on the road. Allows me to ride on much rougher terain, jump pavements and less punctures from glass. You get buggar all for a second hand MTB, so convert it into a road trainer

The effect of challenging roadies on a Mountain bike, during a road event is just so much better than on a road bike! :D

A few years back I witnessed a couple of mountain bikers riding in A group, no slicks, and keeping up with the bunch as well. I was pretty impressed. I remember hanging on for dear life and seeing these guys riding up the left hand side of the bunch in the dirt shoulder of Spaanschemat River Road to get to the front for a better position.

I know...it irritates the crap out of them!!

And I love it.

No Man you problem is you don't know how to spin. Train to get up to 120RPM constantly and then there is no issue. :D

Really though which bunches are you riding in, at this year's Argus in A bunch there were quite a few MTB's riding with them on normal MTB gearing.

Guest Big H

The main problem may be that MTB frames are are built for a specific size chainring and chainline. Larger chainrings may just not fit or rub against the chainstays. You may also have problems getting the front derraileur to throw the chain.

I know...it irritates the crap out of them!!

And I love it.

LOL ... also pisses them off that I can ride everywhere I want to. Potholes are my bikes friend, not his enemy :)

I have an 8spd which is 28-38-48 also with a 11-32 and it really makes a big difference on flats. But what I've found that has helped me the most where fitting better slicks (I use the Town & Countrys 1.9").

But the problem is when you hit those uphills and thats why I'm upgrading to 22-32-44 soon.

So what you are saying is the 28/32 gearing is too tough for you on the uphills?

Thanks for all the advice, I am now Sorted!

Damn uphills are killing me, but my eyes water on the downhills and flats!

post-14134-009449700 1279519231.jpg

shimano do make a front crank with 48 big ring .it does make a great difference on the road . Try looking around for a small ring that would suit your area sizes avail 22 th 24 th 26 th & 28 th The combo i run on is 24/36/48 and is great for hills while running a 11/32 rear .Also try find a set of narrow slicks 26 x 1.25 is ideal