Rear deraileur adjustment

Coyote

Replaced my rear deraileur recently and decided to attempt to adjust it myself. Read up on how to do it on the net but, still have one headache.

All works fine except for the highest gear. The chain does not want to drop down to it - even with the cable completely loosened.

Any ideas?

THere are two screws on the rear derallier. One sets the up limit and the other the lower limit. If your cable is slack and it still does not go into the 11 cog (or 13 if you are normal) or (15 if you are a junoir) then you need to loose the lower limit screw (don't ask ne which one) just experiment with a screw driver.

good luck

Replaced my rear deraileur recently and decided to attempt to adjust it myself. Read up on how to do it on the net but' date=' still have one headache.

All works fine except for the highest gear. The chain does not want to drop down to it - even with the cable completely loosened.

Any ideas?
[/quote']

Sounds like you bottom limiter (screws on the back of derailleur) is restricting it.

There is a little screw that you have to adjust......think it is the bottom one of the two. 

It is basicly a stop for the deraileur not to go down further (and the other screw - not to go up further, climb in the spokes and rip the jokey apart!!)

Have a look at which screw the jocky kicks against when in the second last gear and anticlockwise.....

Hope it makes sence?

Don't worry, this is a common problem with new deraileurs and you'll soon learn how to fish, as Confucius supposedly said.

The trick is to first take off the chain and move the RD up and down, making sure it actually reaches the top and bottom sprocket. Like others here said, use the limit screws to make it do that, but beware that your top limit screw doesn't allow the chain to be shifted in the spokes - very expensive that.

I have a nice article on the process on my website. Look under Supersport Articles, you'll find it there.

ok ok, I just need to know which screw to turn which way to stop my Chain jumping into my spokes and getting stuck behind my Cassette, this happened during this weekends Mtb race, I almost kicked some spokes in out of frustration. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Do I turn the top or bottom screw and which way please.

Marius

Kyk in die Bicycling van Julie 2007. Die hele proses word met prentjies daar verduidelik op bladsy 51 "Derailleurs for Dummies". Indien jy dit nie het nie sal ek jou 'n scan stuur van die bladsy.

Marius

Kyk in die Bicycling van Julie 2007. Die hele proses word met prentjies daar verduidelik op bladsy 51 "Derailleurs for Dummies". Indien jy dit nie het nie sal ek jou 'n scan stuur van die bladsy.

Hendrik het jy dalk " Practicing for Dummies"LOLLOLLOLLOL

Marius

?

Hendrik het jy dalk " Practicing for Dummies"https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />

Easy. set alarm for 4:30. Get up, out of bed and dressed (important point that). Go outside with bike. (outside the gate and onto the road). Climb on bike. Cycle. smiley2.gif

Marius

Hendrik het jy dalk " Practicing for Dummies"LOLLOLLOLLOL

Nee ongelukkig nie, sjeim, het jy dit nodig om jou krusus te voltooi!!!!!?????? teeee heeee!!!!!!!