Meniscus Tear and ITB

I went to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday to get cortisone injections in my knees for ITBS and I found out I have a meniscus tear in my left knee as well.

I’m going for a MRI scan on Friday to determine the severity of the tear to determine what type of operation I will have (removal of cartilage or repair of meniscus)

I want to know if anyone had a similar operation and what kind of recovery period I’m looking at

I’ve entered the following events and need to know which to scratch of my list post-op

31 July - PPC half-marathon

28 Aug – Potberg MTB/Trial run

19 Sep – Karoo to Coast

30 Sep – 2 Oct – Renosterveld MTB

12-14 Nov – Whines2Whales

5 Dec – Die Burger Fietstoer

19 Dec – Jailbreak

I’m not listing my 2011 races, because if I can’t do those then I’m selling all of my gear

I had my meniscus in my right knee sorted out in Dec 08 and then did the Addo 50 Miler in early May 09. The physio who was meant to trun up after the procedure never did :angry: and I basically did all the wrong things during my recovery (kept leg strainght, didn't weight it very much, etc) which resulted in me needing a fair amount of physio to sort out my new lack of mobility. That said I started training for the event in early Feb and the race went well except I picked up a bit of an ache in my left hip (I think a compesation issue), but I never gave it too much thought. I then started training for Transbaviaans and the niggling hip issue persisted and the cycling seemed to isolate the issue. I seem to only be sorting out my hip issues now after some oestepath treatments (who told me I may have a degenerative hip :o - not going back there) a trip to an orthopedic surgeon (who told me I defnitely don't have a degenerative hip) and then further physio (which has pointed out a significant muscle imbalance in my left quad!)...

So basically rather put off an extra event and make sure your muscle bulk and balance are back before you take on too bigger challenge. That said, with a good recovery you shouldn't be back on your feet in no time.

Good luck with the procedure.

Depending on how bad it is you will need 3-6 months to recover with physio and some gym work and no running.

How old are you and what did you do to injure them?

thanks super mil

i'll take the recovery as serious as race preparation and make sure it's done properly

just a bit negative at the moment

thanks super mil

i'll take the recovery as serious as race preparation and make sure it's done properly

just a bit negative at the moment

Had meniscus done on both knees and if they just cut/shave off torn bits you will be encouraged to be back on your bike in 2 weeks. Not sure about running.

Depending on how bad it is you will need 3-6 months to recover with physio and some gym work and no running.

i'm 28 and started cycling in Jan, swimming in Apr, running in May this year after 4 years of no activity (expat work). left the running until last, because i felt to heavy to run and brought my weight down from 90 to 73kg. I'm in the best condition i've ever been and now this happens

had a bit of ITBS when I ran in 2003/4, but nothing serious because I never did it full-on like now

i suspect the meniscus tear happened in rugby at school (1999) and I stopped playing becuase the knee would pop out the whole time

from the sounds of it, i should cancel all my events for 2010 and just focus on the 70.3 and ironman

i agree here with the last two posts. rather take more time than you think you need. so many guys make the mistake of not recovering completely and that just lead to futher injury or muscle imbalance when trying to protect the injury.

i always use the following as a good measure : a scar takes about 6 weeks to recover completely, then the skin is still new tender. now muscles and tendons (soft tissue) that will be placed under stress need so much more time to heal.

from personal experience (and doing it wrong once) i would sy take 16-20 weeks after the OP and start slow.

good luck!

AVOID having all your cartilage removed. BAD plan.

From what I understand from friends who have had meniscus tears (from climbing) and repairs (shaving off of small bits). Recovery took about 6-8 weeks and cycling was part of the recovery :) . As dusty said - back on bike quickly. Muscles and tendons aren't affected as in an op such as a cruciate ligament repair. Just moved out the way to get to the cartilage. Hence faster get better rate.

thank you very much guys, I really appreciate all the support and advice, now just to get myself to stay sane without training

read somewhere recently that it's harder to get yourself to stop training than it is to go training

the worst bit of all is that i just finished building my time trial bike and was suppose to take her out for a ride saturday

Might also be worthwhile getting your bike fit sorted properly - too small, too big, wrong saddle position, handlebars etc all cause havoc and might only make things worse. I see you're in CT: there's a great biokineticist - Roger Levitan - at First Principles gym in Main Road, Sea Point who trains you in the absolutely correct form for any exercise you do. Otherwise, Sterkte! Hope you're sorted and back on the bike in no time.

Might also be worthwhile getting your bike fit sorted properly - too small, too big, wrong saddle position, handlebars etc all cause havoc and might only make things worse. I see you're in CT: there's a great biokineticist - Roger Levitan - at First Principles gym in Main Road, Sea Point who trains you in the absolutely correct form for any exercise you do. Otherwise, Sterkte! Hope you're sorted and back on the bike in no time.

had some issues with right knee and changed cleet position and it was sorted, but i'm gonna take all three bikes to a different LBS to check bike setup was done properly first time

unfortunately i'm in the northern suburbs, but if i'm not happy with the fisio i'll contact Roger

I also did my meniscus climbing, followed by a longish walkout which really hammered it! As far as I'm aware they no longer remove the entire meniscus as it leads to early arthritis. I think the typical arthroscopy technique is to shave the torn bit of meniscus (normally a bucket handle tear).

Perhaps consider a joint supplement with loads of Glucosamine sulphate, chondroitin, MSM and all those good things. Run it by your surgeon first though ;)

Good luck with the recovery.

One other thing, consider a good stretching routine (or even yoga). Lack of flexibility can lead you to further injuries (it certainly has in my case) and now I try to stretch more regularly, even though I still hate it.

I definitely need more stretching, but share your hate for it

i used roaccutan at school and heard it "dries" your joints, so I take I-flex and flaxseed oil supplements daily

I had meniscus tears in both knees fixed in 2000 and then AGAIN in 2006. We also had to stretched my ITBs both legs 75%. Recovery with NO training not even swimming for a year, then after that I had to do a rehab / strengthening program for 6 months thereafter I started Training Slowly. Did Ironman in 2009 and to date still no knee problems.

Best of luck!

P.S try to keep your cartilage for as long as possible!!