New or Old MTB tyres for Botswana Race

Ysterman

Just wondering ... will it help to fit new tyres for the Botswana 2day MTB stage race

Apparently there are lots of thorns & sand. My current CrossMark (UST) has a couple of holes in it already and fairly worn - the Cross is just visible still.

So, do I just top up with lots of slime or fit new with lots of slime

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thorns are more for your legs and arms. Thoes tyres will be fine with the normal amount of slime. If Kenda Karma's and SB8's can do the Kalchal the crossmarks will have no problem.

The thorns are more for your legs and arms. Thoes tyres will be fine with the normal amount of slime. If Kenda Karma's and SB8's can do the Kalchal the crossmarks will have no problem.

Thanks,

So - slime around my arms & legs then :)

I did get pair of baggies to protect my bibs from thorns, but arms & legs will just have to survive - I get really hot & claustrophobic when it warms up if I have leg&arm warmers on

I would not tackle a race with worn-out tyres. If you can afford it, fit a new set with fresh tyre sealant and race with peace of mind. Just dropped my wheels of at my favourate LBS (CL) for a fresh set of Racing Kings for the Burger MTB challenge!

Thanks,

So - slime around my arms & legs then :)

I did get pair of baggies to protect my bibs from thorns, but arms & legs will just have to survive - I get really hot & claustrophobic when it warms up if I have leg&arm warmers on

The thorns will draw blood for sure, mark my words..... There is every thorn conceivable to man there....

Those worn tyres will be just fine. A thorn will go trough a new tyre just as easy. Just put in enough sealant.

Those worn tyres will be just fine. A thorn will go trough a new tyre just as easy. Just put in enough sealant.

yeh, but worn tyres are not really going to help for the sand....which they also warn us about.

yeh, but worn tyres are not really going to help for the sand....which they also warn us about.

What difference will new tyres make in the sand?

What difference will new tyres make in the sand?

dunno, you told me race kings will be good in the sand, so go ahead and explain why.

dunno, you told me race kings will be good in the sand, so go ahead and explain why.

Ha ha..yes they are. But the topic is new vs old. Old tyres will behave the same in sand as new ones. If someone is really worried about sand they can slap on some slicks. They will go trough sand like a hot knive trough butter.

There is sand but not as bad as you may have been led to believe. The rock beds got to me more! The Sand is similar to mud, momentum is your friend and no sand tyre is going to get you out of thick sand from a dead stand still. Actually the thinner the tyre the better. But it's all about the speed entering the sand section.

Yeh, I know how to ride in sand...well, I hope I do. I just want to finish the race and actually would prefer rocky sections. :)

They will go trough sand like a hot knive trough butter.

They will? Nice ...

I will however make sure we have a good final training weekend starting with SBR (1x small loop + 1 big loop) & then Walkerville on Sunday. Then next weekend its all over to karma ...

Yeh, I know how to ride in sand...well, I hope I do. I just want to finish the race and actually would prefer rocky sections. :)

Then no need to worry. Race king will do just fine, a bit worn or brand new....