Phew! That is steep...

'Dale

This shot of makes me wanna train and train and train to fearlessly master those climbs on my cycling routes...

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2010/07/13/2/bettiniphoto_0056620_1_full_600.jpg

And this image... B)

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2010/07/13/2/bettiniphoto_0056636_1_full_600.jpg

And this image... B)

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2010/07/13/2/bettiniphoto_0056636_1_full_600.jpg

I did the Etap du Tour some years ago from Aime to Cluses and rode Saisies, Colombierre, Aravis and one other I can't remember. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. I'd recommend it to anyone who gets butterflies watching stages in the south east of france!

Oddly enough they're not that steep - I rode most of them comfortable in a 39x23 - they're just loooong. For the stage the numbers of km to the top were indicated. When you start at the sign says 21km to the top - you know you're in for PAIN :D

This shot of makes me wanna train and train and train to fearlessly master those climbs on my cycling routes...

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2010/07/13/2/bettiniphoto_0056620_1_full_600.jpg

Which hill is that?

Do we have anything in SA that rivals these type of climbs?

Long Tom Pass is quite.......long more than 20 km, but few dips in the middle, not sure about the avg gradient.

Swartbergpass is 16km long, avg gradient is around 6%.

Yah, they indicated on a racing signboard yesterday during the Tour:

25kms to the summit! :rolleyes:

Imagine that...

I'm sure that someone who is not a cyclist, channel hopping and coming across the TDF riders flying up these hills, must think, geez, thats easy...

I'm sure that someone who is not a cyclist, channel hopping and coming across the TDF riders flying up these hills, must think, geez, thats easy...

Or think the guys are swak cos they do 200 odd km in 5 hrs :rolleyes:

Or think the guys are swak cos they do 200 odd km in 5 hrs :rolleyes:

or ask why those guys are not riding the August. It is the toughest race.

System6, before I started cycling in 2007, I was a runner.

I thought "uh, that is easy - they have two wheels to do it..."

UNTIL I started cycling myself. Then I woke up to how tough this sport is.

Sure, I can finish a 100km in 4h30. And not train much. And brag about how easy this sport is.

But le'me try finishing it 2h45! Now let's talk. B)

I never really had an idea of the gradients and effort it takes of some of these TDF mountain stages until I drove up to L'Alpe d'Huez by CAR!! :huh:

RESPECT!!

I did the Etap du Tour some years ago from Aime to Cluses and rode Saisies, Colombierre, Aravis and one other I can't remember. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. I'd recommend it to anyone who gets butterflies watching stages in the south east of france!

Oddly enough they're not that steep - I rode most of them comfortable in a 39x23 - they're just loooong. For the stage the numbers of km to the top were indicated. When you start at the sign says 21km to the top - you know you're in for PAIN :D

Eldron

Is there a time limit ? WHat sort of pace do they do ? Costs ?

Do we have anything in SA that rivals these type of climbs?

Yes!!

Just outside Barberton, between the town and the Swaziland border........

the climb is called "Havelock"" only 6.8km long........Horst category all the way 1:7.5 gradient!! As steep as you will get a tarred road anywhere!! Lesotho might have some steeper concrete roads though...

It's also the Sunday Hillclimb for the Jock tour!!