which mtb bike wheelset is the best

zork

The info I have from the net and from riders is that the American classic wheelset are the best for the money you pay (+-R4000). Weigh together just over 1.5kg and is strong enough for a 85kg rider. Going lighter on wheels compromises the strengt of the wheel. Get them in white, black and a combination of the white and black.

just my 2c

Something along the lines of Edge Composites carbon rims with tune hubs and Sapim spokes with Alu nipples??

Quite debatable, in fact, very debatable...

- Mavic Crossmax SLR - Very light and stiff, BLING, but Pricey and questionable hub reliability.

- American Classic MTB 26 - Very light and cheap, but quite flexy and easy to break.

- Shimano XTR - Reliable and strong, pricing is OK, but not as light as the others.

- ZTR Olympic on AC (or ZTR or DT Swiss) hubs with DT Swiss Revolution/Champion spokes - great combo - light and strong, very customizable, but expensive and can be hard to get hold of

- ZTR Alpine on AC (etc) with DT spokes - SUPER light (ask weight weenie), very bling and customizable but maybe a little flexy and possibly not so tough also hard to get hold of and very expensive.

-Xtralite Wheels - Order them from overseas (Italy?) Very very super light, but don't know much about them...

Best, is very debatable. But some of the lightest are Edge Composites's 26" tubbys at just 1110g a pair.

Best, is very debatable. But some of the lightest are Edge Composites's 26" tubbys at just 1110g a pair.

MTB tubbies..great idea! Not.

Best value for money..probably XT. And no average joe needs anything lighter. Best probably XTR. My choice...819's with xtr hubs.

I have some ZTR 355's on Hope Pro 2's and they are sweet. However, I think price point wise, you gonna have look far and wide to beat a XT wheelset, especially if you can get them at a promotional price(2700 - 3300 ZARS). My reasons:

1.Lightish 1680g if i am not mistaken

2.Strong

3.No tubeless conversion needed

4.Better designed Hubs than some of the "BIG" names wrt seals

my 2c

Real mountainbiking/fit-and-forget: my choice will be Mavic 819 + XTR hubs. I´ve owned two pairs, sold one pair with a bike and still have one pair left - 5 to 6 years old and still no work required (last two years not much riding). Both were handbuilt and used extensively under very hard conditions.

Had a good two years now with DT wheelset (240 hubs + 4.2 rims) - light and stiff, strong enough for XC. Only had one broken back spoke at rear.

The info I have from the net and from riders is that the American classic wheelset are the best for the money you pay (+-R4000). Weigh together just over 1.5kg and is strong enough for a 85kg rider. Going lighter on wheels compromises the strengt of the wheel. Get them in white, black and a combination of the white and black.

just my 2c

Must agree with Extra300. I recently went through the same exercise in search for strong and light mtb wheels. Although I could get lighter, I went with American Classic at only 1486g for the set, at a great price. They have great hubs and run exceptionally smooth. My other option was Mavic ST's which are slighly heavier at around 1650g, but comes with a hefty price tag and not-so-great mtb hubs. Lighter is probably the NoTubes ZTR Olympic at around 1350g, but they are expensive and have a rider weight limit of 78kg if I am not mistaken. If you weigh more than 80kg and want to keep the budget at around R4000, get the American Classics!

Bargain @ $2800.00 :blink:

Are XTR rims genuine UST / tubeless, or do you have to use a conversion kit?

All the models from SLX are UST. Sealed rims and no tape required.

Thanks Moegoe. XTR are very well priced on CRC right now. But stock is a problem; probably preparing for the launch of the new XTR which is imminent I believe.