Events are getting too expensive

Pierre GlobalSp

MTB events are too expensive  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The expense of entering MTB events is putting me off taking part in them.

• Agree
    • Disagree

I just found out that as a non-membered cyclist I need to pay R185 to ride 60km in the upcoming Burger MTB challenge. Does anyone else feel like this is getting a bit ridiculous?? And what is this licensing fee for? We seemed to manage quite fine without it in the past.

Am I misinformed or unaware of complexities or do other people also feel that this is not right?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is getting out of hand, what with the cost of servicing and maintaining your bike, you need to be a millionaire. I now only ride certain races because I cant afford to, even those races are costly. It bollocks.

Same goes for some road events. I have to fork out R170 for Die Burger road race if I want to take part

I must agree with you guys, baring in mind that some costs are there and have to be there because of the event itself by maintaining it etc. But most times they are pretty expensive, some downhill races are also quite expensive.

I rode a lot of MTB events last year..and have made a point this year of only going back to ride those that I really enjoyed (and a few new ones). Some of the entry fees really are rediculous. This past weekend it would have cost me R90 to ride a 20km event with Jnr..so R180 for the 2 of us. Excluding petrol.

I just found out that as a non-membered cyclist I need to pay R185 to ride 60km in the upcoming Burger MTB challenge. Does anyone else feel like this is getting a bit ridiculous?? And what is this licensing fee for? We seemed to manage quite fine without it in the past.

Am I misinformed or unaware of complexities or do other people also feel that this is not right?

Every year people bitch about the costs and every year it is massively over crowded, so it seems to answer your question: nobody cares. There are so many trails in the Cape, why don't you just go and ride one which is bound to be less crowded on that day? That way you save yourself a lot of pain and bitching and moaning.

Maybe if people stay away costs will come down, but the truth is people don't stay away!

Every year people bitch about the costs and every year it is massively over crowded, so it seems to answer your question: nobody cares. There are so many trails in the Cape, why don't you just go and ride one which is bound to be less crowded on that day? That way you save yourself a lot of pain and bitching and moaning.

Maybe if people stay away costs will come down, but the truth is people don't stay away!

Oi!!! You know the rules, no logic allowed here.

the best when they "invite" you to ride and then you have to pay even more :) i love the logic

ps. i voted 'disagree' : still think its not much to pay compared to other means of entertainment. dinner and flowers cost double that and it only lasts 12seconds :P ;)

People paid R4500 for soccer tickets so my guess is that R185 is still cheap.At least here you get water along the way and a medal and medical if needed,soccer got zilch.

Willie before you start boxing what we're saying into shallow little categories please have a closer look at what I am saying;

I cannot afford this therefore I will stay away. But I don't want to just mindlessly bitch and winge so I asked whether I was an exception or whether this is an overall feeling? I value somebody disagreeing with me but instead of just waving it aside without engaging in what's being said, maybe you can constructively enhance the discussion by giving us your point of view of why you think these costs need to be as high as they are?

That's a really tough question - and really why I ask. Are these acceptable prices and I just can't afford them, or are they not acceptable? I think its acceptable if it can be justified but I don't understand why there are these extra licensing fees etc - they're not building trails or paying medics. Or are they? And if so why are they a recent addition?

What would be a acceptable price ?

Well a decent concert ticket, rugby ticket etc all cost over R200 and thats for 90 minutes of just watching something.

That's exactly what I have resorted to doing - picking out one or two races that I really love and justifying the expense as my annual dose of race fever. The rest of the time I'll just go out on my own.

It is getting out of hand, what with the cost of servicing and maintaining your bike, you need to be a millionaire. I now only ride certain races because I cant afford to, even those races are costly. It bollocks.

A very fair point

Well a decent concert ticket, rugby ticket etc all cost over R200 and thats for 90 minutes of just watching something.