Recovery methods?

I'm going from zero training to as much as possible, but don't want to overtrain.

What recovery methods are out there?

So far I've got:

• Stay hydrated and good nutrition(especially after a workout)
  • Cold-hot-cold-hot shower after workout for increased bloodflow
  • Getting enough sleep
  • No binge drinking
  • Recovery sessions
  • Sauna

I've skipped compression and L-glutamine as I don't want to spend any money on it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are recovering adequately after your training sessions, but nothing can replace no training days (preferably 2, but at least 1 per week). Strengh, endurance and fitness levels are optimised during these days, and not actually while you are training. I am also making the same mistakes by training too hard without enough rest, but my Polar often reminds me to take a break.

Forgot to add that one. I do have a resting day somewhere each week. I'm not doing any hectic sessions at the moment or supper long sessions.

You are going to get a injury and then you need to be off even longer take it easy and get back slowly.It's winter,what's the rush?

Ice and water in a big plastic drum for 8 mins works very well on the legs after a very hard sesion.

I've skipped compression and L-glutamine as I don't want to spend any money on it.

I got a call from the Rocket's guys (compression clothing), apparently their stuff can be claimed via medical aid? Best is give them a call, get the code and find out if your MA will cover?

Stretching is important as cycling shortens a muscles and that can lead to injuries related to alignment. The Ice issue I agree with BeOne, u can even just wrap ice in a towel and rub it over your legs. Sauna helps with the removal of toxins from the body but think drinking enough water would do the same.

Thing is if you are looking at going from 0 to Lots....there is no fast way, there is a lot of talk about HIT lately but I cannot think that it is good for an endurance sport in the long term. So get a programme that works and is proven so that when you train u benefit and not waste. Nutrition is not just on the bike but what are you eating thru the day and is it the right stuff?.

Definitely take it slow and change your rest days regularly

When I started it looked as follow:

Started spinning twice a week and once on the weekend in Nov 09

Bought MTB in Jan and changed to two spin classes in the week and one MTB ride on the weekend

Bought Road bike in March, cut one spin session, added two short weeknight rides with roadbike and one long weekend ride with roadbike or mtb

Add two swimming sessions per week in April and one short run

Add another short weekday run and a long weekend run in May

So after 6 months my winter program were:

Mon - Weight training 45min

- Swim 2.5km

Tue - Run 6km

- Spin 1 hour

Wed - Rest

Thu - Run 6km

- Spin 1 hour

Fri - Swim 2.5km

Sat - MTB/Roadbike long ride

Sun - Run 16km

Now I'm suffering with a knee injury, but it comes from schooldays and not from my current program. I did weight training on and off since 1999 and my biggest mistake always was to start were I left off. Take it slow and you'll be able to do it for longer

Hi,

I've been trough the "from zero to as much as possible" process 6 month ago. Here's what I did (still doing), and that worked for me. I usually take monday and friday OFF (or saturday if training/racing planned only on sunday.

Before and after a long race, I usually take 2 days OFF (let's say friday/sat + monday/tuesday if long race planned on sunday). After the race, I usually swallow a recovery drink and it works as well.

have a good training!

Thanks for reply's. Have only been off the bike for 6 weeks and in that time I did gym, but no cycling/running.

I'm doing the isuzu three towers in october, that's why I want to pick up my training as soon as possible.

Best way to recover is to ride your bike every day. That way your body has to make a plan and recovers quicker.

I know the importance of a rest day, but then I also know the importance of a recovery ride(higher cadence and hr between 60-65%).

Only now I'm thinking - Isn't is better to do active recovery on your rest day with a recovery ride so that you can get the blood flowing for faster recovery?

I'm asking this because training advice always changes as technology improves so I'd like an answer bases on science and not an opinion.

I'm going from zero training to as much as possible, but don't want to overtrain.

What recovery methods are out there?

So far I've got:

• Stay hydrated and good nutrition(especially after a workout)
  • Cold-hot-cold-hot shower after workout for increased bloodflow
  • Getting enough sleep
  • No binge drinking
  • Recovery sessions
  • Sauna

Hi Stewie

There in you opening statement lies a problem.

Going from zero to as much as possible will not take you from zero to hero.

Over training can creep up on you quicker than you might think.

Starting out gently and building up by 10 to 15 % a week is what you should try.

Sleep is vital.

Nutrition is more important than most guys take it granted for, a good recovery drink also goes a long way in helping.

L-Glutamine is highly advised.

Yip drinking is not good and will put you further back every time you get sloshed.

As for recovery riding, yes it's a great concept and definitely works but ultimately it's just another day in the saddle at lower intensity.

When you are in full training and you are in tune then do recovery rides.

For now take a full rest day with no exercise but try and stretch.

Don't do too much !!!!!!!!!!

You won't get any fitter any quicker.

My advise, when your muscles are hurting, you have done too much.

But then again I am giving advise as a fun rider ;)

L-Glutamine, what is it and what form does it come in( powder or pills)? I have heard the name over and over again but actually have no idea!