Voortrekker Monument Trails!! Come ride

bontie

Thsi just landed in my Inbox - not directly, but from Dylan Victor!

SINGLE TRACK SUNDAY

Ride @ Voortrekker Monument @ 08h00

Howzit Everybody!

Saturday, 17 July 2010 is the XCO National at Fountains, which I'm sure many of us will be riding.

However, on Sunday, 18 July I would love to show-off all the new routes around the Voortrekker Monument! The trails are being purposely built for the race on 7 August 2010, and they should be about 70% done by the end of this week. It's taken a lot of sweat and grind, but the new trails are proving to be some awesome riding!

So just to summarise, here's what's happening:

Distance: The ride this Sunday will be about a 40 - 50km ride. Medium pace.

Where: Meet at the entrance to the Voortrekker Monument

Time: 08h00

*Note: Please remember to bring R20 for entry to the Voortrekker Monument.

And remember, ALL ARE WELCOME, so spread the word!

A big Whoop Whoop to the guys building all the new trails at the Monument! Not doing the race on the 7th of August though and on this Sunday doing another race. Been there once, and found it to be totally awesome despite being a small area at that time.

If some of you have contacts with the guys building/maintaining the trails there, I would like to suggest something like a notice board indicating all the routes and starting points etc. This is just to help guys like me to get onto the right track. Since I plan to go there on a more regular basis, I would even be willing to contribute towards this.

Thsi just landed in my Inbox - not directly, but from Dylan Victor!

SINGLE TRACK SUNDAY

Ride @ Voortrekker Monument @ 08h00

Howzit Everybody!

Saturday, 17 July 2010 is the XCO National at Fountains, which I'm sure many of us will be riding.

However, on Sunday, 18 July I would love to show-off all the new routes around the Voortrekker Monument! The trails are being purposely built for the race on 7 August 2010, and they should be about 70% done by the end of this week. It's taken a lot of sweat and grind, but the new trails are proving to be some awesome riding!

So just to summarise, here's what's happening:

Distance: The ride this Sunday will be about a 40 - 50km ride. Medium pace.

Where: Meet at the entrance to the Voortrekker Monument

Time: 08h00

*Note: Please remember to bring R20 for entry to the Voortrekker Monument.

And remember, ALL ARE WELCOME, so spread the word!

When you finnished come watch the Downhill Racing at klapperkop !!!

If some of you have contacts with the guys building/maintaining the trails there, I would like to suggest something like a notice board indicating all the routes and starting points etc. This is just to help guys like me to get onto the right track. Since I plan to go there on a more regular basis, I would even be willing to contribute towards this.

There are very clear route markers and it is even colour coded to indicate single track (blue), jeep track (green) and advanced (black). The advanced only consist of 2 sections at the moment but the whole track is very nice and the loop can be ridden on about 70% single track if you want to.

Thanks Muddy, will be checking it out for sure...Flippit i've only been mtb'ing for 2 and half months now, and it just keeps on getting better and better.

AWESOME Vid Muddy!!!

Just to wet the appetites a bit...

WOW.... I'm really gona make a plan to be there the 7th.

what's the Possibilty of doing the route before the race? sorry if that's a really stupid question... but what I would like to know is can we go and ride there like going to garsfontein... just pay entrance and you can ride wheneva? B)

JJ, just like Groenkloof - take your R25 and go ride...

The trails are quite popular for running as well - there was a trail running race there on Sat.

I'm going to try to go one afternoon this week. The VTM can really do with our hard earned R25's as they do not get the support they used to from the govt. To give you an idea - annually they receive about 20% of what the freedom park (the flagpoles on the other side of the koppie) gets...

Big thumbs up to Genl Opperman, Dylan, Marais and the chaps from Nature Conservation!!!

I enjoyed the ride on sunday. Some sections might be a bit rocky for the family to ride and enjoy. Roadies like myself will also find it tuff. But it is really cool to have more options to ride.

The route is still new and might be better after more wheels have passed... ;)

I spent Saturday morning at the monument and thoroughly enjoyed it... Trails are lekke just a bit rough still but with a bit of traffic this is going to become an awesome place to ride

• 1 month later...

Because of civil works around the Monument I think a few of the signs has disappeared . And somewhere along the Blue route I lost the original route and found my own way back to the gate . So I decided to give the green route on the other side of the gate a go . What a lovely piece of single track . The sudden turns at the bottom of the drops and short steep rocky climbs makes it so much fun to ride . Every corner got different surface , from sand , loose rocks , smooth to bumpy . Not a dull moment . I just had to go back the hill all the way to the exit gate to do it all again .