Rietvlei July News

THABA TRAILS

Hi Guys,

Just an update.The blue route has had some additions to it. They are not as clean as they will be but are rideable ( some walking...just a little )Going up Wendell's revenge from East to west, take the blue arrows and as you get into the small woods turn left for a great experiance. As it is winter we are focussing on opening trails so maintainance is a bit behind..sorry. On the wottle trail see the blue arrow and experiance this awesome cut. Take care and enjoy and finally, the blue section decending from the pool, take the left turn ( bull run ) and enjoy. The entire blue route is 18km and we are aiming for 20km. Please rate the rides and give us feedback so we can give you the best ride you want. You will see that we are looking at 80% of the trails being for 80% of the riders. Showers and toilets at the Shack and we will shortly be diong all the trail admin from there... have fun and keep the rubber on the ground.

Love your work! The trails really are excellent and lots of stuff to test the technical skills. Marking could improve a bit I think.

Thank you for your interest. Like a map, we are so aware of this shortfall as well, but we are still working on new trails that we can't keep up. I asure you we will fix this as soon as we can.We are wanting to officially open the trail at the beginning of September.Please be patiant.Thanks

I love Rietvlei. It deserves more recognition. Showers on site is a nice addition to a great set of trails.

Well done Wendell.

Guest eyecandy

Was there again this morning and I have yet to find better! Its fantastic with a little bit of everything.....luv the awesome singletracks, but i think whats most appealing is its safe!! :)

What is the physical address, directions from the closest highway offramp would be great as well, Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Just an update.The blue route has had some additions to it. They are not as clean as they will be but are rideable ( some walking...just a little )Going up Wendell's revenge from East to west, take the blue arrows and as you get into the small woods turn left for a great experiance. As it is winter we are focussing on opening trails so maintainance is a bit behind..sorry. On the wottle trail see the blue arrow and experiance this awesome cut. Take care and enjoy and finally, the blue section decending from the pool, take the left turn ( bull run ) and enjoy. The entire blue route is 18km and we are aiming for 20km. Please rate the rides and give us feedback so we can give you the best ride you want. You will see that we are looking at 80% of the trails being for 80% of the riders. Showers and toilets at the Shack and we will shortly be diong all the trail admin from there... have fun and keep the rubber on the ground.

I see some of the rocks on the west side of the koppie have been removed. Please don't remove everything - it's nice to have some technical sections.

The new blue route up Wendels revenge is also a great addition..

But I must agree, it's my preferred venue of choice and worth every click on the card.

What is the physical address, directions from the closest highway offramp would be great as well, Thanks.

3.4Km from the R59 offramp (Swartkoppies Road)

GPS co-ords: S26 18.753 E28 04.794

post-1372-056521300 1279477413.jpg

I rode the new blue section down at the wattles yesterday morning. Frosty, you want some technical sections, there's plenty of it on that piece of the trail, I need a few more skills courses before I'll get through it all without pushing...

Wendell and crew, thanks for all you do for the sport, and giving us such an awesome place to ride in a safe environment. Don't forget to post a message about Saturday's activities...

Here are pics from our Pump Track Building and Riding session yesterday at Rietvlei.

post-4310-050222300 1279571866.jpg

post-4310-071110300 1279571877.jpg

Love your work! The trails really are excellent and lots of stuff to test the technical skills. Marking could improve a bit I think.

Agreed, it's a great spot but marking needs an upgrade.

Come on guys it's not a new bike park.

• 3 weeks later...

July has gone so now it is an August update..we are nearly done!Nearly there with a twenty km Blue trail. This time we have not opened any of the new sections incase there are more complaints about markings. The new section just opened today,is blue and takes a right turn going up the trail to the camp site. Just about 20m before the fence we have put the entrance arrow and it is a most enjoyable piece of trail. The provincial taking place on the 15th will mainly be on this section. It is not going to be a " walk in the park " but not rediculously technical a challenging strip of note.I know we are going to have moans about the difficulty but it is afterall a provincial. We will now start focussing on the markings but it would be a big help if a sponsor would take the challange of the route branding,with their products or company.. if anyone knows cycling friendly sponsors,it would help.

We would like to build a floating bridge over a proposed dam... would any of you be willing to give us a weekend of your time? It will be appreciated!

New names: The Legend. Eagles Nest.Come talk to us and we will point you in their direction.

A huge "Thank You" to all the patiant regulars, we are getting there.Enjoy your cycling and God bless.

Best place for group rides in Gauteng, whether its skills training, fitness training or just a lekka social ride out. New sections giving me butterflies just thinking about taking them on again. I think my bike loves this place! See you there shortly. Good luck with Nationals.

I'm aiming to go try Rietvlei nature reserve for the first time and got all exited when i read this post about blue trails etc but allas, rietvlei dam and Rietvlei zoo farm isnt't the same thing is it... Maybe i should rather get to this place instead eh? :-)