SRAM fd with Shimano Shiters

Justin

have them the othre way around on my bike - sram shifters and shimano fd. no problems.

It seems as if the shimano shifters move the sram fd too much...after the 2nd pull of the shifter the fd is over the 3rd cog.

I'm not exactly sure how shimano shifters work as I'm using x.0 gripshifts which works super great for front shifting.

Isn't it suppose to be on the third chainring after two shifts?

btw, cogs are at the rear. Chainrings up front.

Where in centurion are you? If you're still having problems, I could try to help you. I'm in irene

I'm in Amberfield. I'll try the conversion again, and if I don't come right perhaps bring the bike past your place. Really appreciate the offer to help!

Thanks.

No problem. Have a look and if you don't come right you can come by.

Here's the procedure: (Cable only attach to fd at point 4)

1. Attach fd to frame at a hight so that the bottom of the outer plate is about 1mm above the largest chainring.

2. For lower limit screw: Put chain on biggest cog at the back and smallest chainring up front. Turn crank and adjust lower limit screw so that the chain doesn't rub against inner plate, but be as close as possible.

3. For high limit screw: Put chain on smallest cog at the back and largest chainring up front. Press the fd with you hand as far as possible outwards and turn the crank. Now you adjust the limit screw so that the outer fd plate is as close as possible to the chain, but doesn't rub against it.

4. Let go of fd and put chain in smallest chainring. Now turn the cable adjust screw at the shifter all the way in and then one full turn out/anti clockwise. Shift to gear 1 on the indicater and after this attach the cable to the fd.

Hope this is clear enough

1. Attach fd to frame at a hight so that the bottom of the outer plate is about 1mm above the largest chainring.

See, this is where the problems started. When setting the outer plate to 1mm about the largest chainring, the inner plate makes contact with the middle chainring when shifting. So, I had to set the outer plate to about 1cm above outer chainring for it to shift past middle chainring.

Very confusing.

Maybe I have to mention that I have a old crank that used to be setup for 8 speed (now converted everything to 9 speed, except replace crank and previous fd. Now still sticking with crank, but replacing the fd to the new sram x9). Would the crank be 8/9 speed specific with the chainrings different sizes?