Heart rate during training

I notice with my heart rate monitor that my heart rate goed to about 175 during climbing and otherwise at around 155-162 during moderately hard cycling.

Is this too high or does it compare to what other cyclists are finding as well?

I'm just concerned that I may be overdoing it...

Molifi, if my HR only goes to about 175 bpm on a climb, I'm not putting any effort in :D . Seriously, a persons HR does go up quite a bit on climbs. You'll quickly realise when you are reaching the upper limits of your HR on climbs, as you'll see it not climbing anymore, but your legs start to burn and you cannot maintain that pace anymore. Your age also plays a part, as generaly younger cyclists HR is higher than the "more matured" cyclists.

Good indication of your fitness level is not how high your HR goes, but how quickly it drops down to your "normal" level (in your case it seems around 155-162bpm)

I'm 45 years old, and my HR easily goes up to 190 plus when I'm pushing climbs. It does however drop quickly to my "normal" HR levels.

Best you push uphill, see where your upper limits are, and also the BPM where you still feel comfortable whilst climbing. This will then be your climbing HR. It does vary from person to person, and also as your fitness level drop or improve. Experiment on the climbs, you'll figure it out quickly enough.

Enjoy pushing up the climbs, it is where most time is won or lost during races.

Molifi that doesn't sound dangerous so you will be okay. Max I've got mine to is 200.

HR is a good indication of how hard you body is working, so for those "recovery" days and LSD rides you would want a lower HR.

For the intervals you want a higher HR to get used to the accumulation of Lactic acid in your muscles.

I have a HR based training program. If your interested PM me your email address.

Doesnt sound too high. I've hit 206bpm.My average HR in the last race I did was 183bpm (ok, I was unfit and a bit sick, but still) But your age does affect your HR, the older you are the lower your max will be, so if you are 80 years old then I would say 175 is overdoing it, but if you are 20, then you can still put in a lot more effort before you pass out :D

Hijack

Usually everyone's max hr is higher than the formula. WOnder why mine is so much lower. My max is 184 and I'm only 24 years old.

Stewie that just means that you are a lot fitter than your normal person then.

or your polar or garmin is broken LOL

I just got a Garmin with HR strap - used it today at 60km Walkerville for the 1st time: Average was 147 and max 171 bpm (age coming up at a ridiculous rate to the big 5 Ou :o )

I can hold mid 190's easy, and when I'm race fit, I can take 200-210 for 15 mins at a time...

I can hold mid 190's easy, and when I'm race fit, I can take 200-210 for 15 mins at a time...

Wow, I can hit + 210 for a few seconds. Have been known to hit + 230, when I am very fit it actually decreases and I rarely go above 200.

Wow, I can hit + 210 for a few seconds. Have been known to hit + 230, when I am very fit it actually decreases and I rarely go above 200.

Yeah, I've always been a bit of a two stroke... Lotsa power, but in a very specific range...

OK. Dit mag dalk 'n dom vraag wees, maar verstaan ek dit reg? Hoe fikser mens raak, hoe hoer kan jou HR gaan, maar jou gemiddelde HR sal dan weer daal. Met ander woorde: Gestel ek ry dieselfde roete. Eers onfiks en dan gestel later fiks of dan fikser. Sal ek in die tweede geval myself harder kan druk op die bulte - 'n hoer HR , maar die gemiddelde HR sal laer wees as toe ek onfiks was?

Maak dit sin?

OK. Dit mag dalk 'n dom vraag wees, maar verstaan ek dit reg? Hoe fikser mens raak, hoe hoer kan jou HR gaan, maar jou gemiddelde HR sal dan weer daal. Met ander woorde: Gestel ek ry dieselfde roete. Eers onfiks en dan gestel later fiks of dan fikser. Sal ek in die tweede geval myself harder kan druk op die bulte - 'n hoer HR , maar die gemiddelde HR sal laer wees as toe ek onfiks was?

Maak dit sin?

Maybe I'm missing something in translation, but, yes, the fitter you are, the higher you can rev when you are going hard, and the lower you will beat when resting. Make sense?

Maybe I'm missing something in translation, but, yes, the fitter you are, the higher you can rev when you are going hard, and the lower you will beat when resting. Make sense?

Not always. Max HR is subjective. My max HR is 180. Getting fitter doesnt make it higher. Its always been low.

Power band is somewhere around 155-160

Not always. Max HR is subjective. My max HR is 180. Getting fitter doesnt make it higher. Its always been low.

Power band is somewhere around 155-160

Well, yes, HR is like that... It's only relevant when you know your body.

Well, yes, HR is like that... It's only relevant when you know your body.

Sorry bob - not preaching to the choir - its more directed at beginners who are worried that their mate has a HR of 220, but theirs only goes to 190.

You can never ever compare your HR to anyone else. Dont even consider "average calcuations". You can have 50 ppl with a max of 100 and 50 ppl with a max of 200. The average for the group will be 150, even tho not 1 of them will have a HR of 150.

If you are going to be using HR for training, learn how your body works. Learn your OWN HR. DONT base your calculations on someone elses