The whole no helmet no ride

wac1

I rode the medscheme Walkerville race today . Only did the 40km and ended up doing 46km but the race was really good . the uphills were well rewarded with great technical fast down hills .

TO THE POINT :

The 60km loop was lead by a lead bike witch was a racing yz450f quad . The guy riding the quad was not wearing a helmet . When questioned the race organizers about this they told me that he is ridding slowly and he knows all the dangers .

Sorry to bitch but 60 km on a racing shopping trolly that has a mind of its own . No helmet no race/ride!

That's pretty poor. Got any details of the race organisers? I have some Think Bike literature they may like to read...

I bumped into him (nearly rode him over)and his son on the route earlier on saturday afternoon, also no helmet on both of them..

Isn't it against the law to ride a quad without a helmet?

Probably not if it is on private land, but that would be the case for bicycles too ;-)

Then it would be up to the organisers whether they require it I guess

Isn't it against the law to ride a quad without a helmet?

Don't think so... They are illegal on the road, and that's about it...

As a paramedic I can show them what a 5km an hour ride can do to a head - if they want - the organisers should not be supported in future events they do - why one set of rules for Riders and one for quads - I do not see anywherein teh rules that it says "No Helnmet No Ride" (only for Mountain bikers - quads excluded) - you should send a complain to the cycling authorisies and also a mailt o the local bike magazines.

Expose the morons!!

As a paramedic I can show them what a 5km an hour ride can do to a head - if they want - the organisers should not be supported in future events they do - why one set of rules for Riders and one for quads - I do not see anywherein teh rules that it says "No Helnmet No Ride" (only for Mountain bikers - quads excluded) - you should send a complain to the cycling authorisies and also a mailt o the local bike magazines.

Expose the morons!!

I agree, it sets a poor example. This is a SAMTB sanctioned event, I would complain to SAMTB. They will not overlook it if you complain. Drop them an email.

The 'guy' I gather was an 'adult' and made his own decision whether to wear a helmet or not ..... you know the old analogy '$10 head $10 helmet'

I doubt there are rules for the lead bike at an MTB race.

maybe we should show them the pictures of the family that was quad biking in samrand.. think it was the uncle (with helmet) that gave a laatie a lift. as they drove a wire spanning across the little dirt road caught the driver and skimmed off and over his helmet, struck the younger guy in the face and tore his jaw bone off.. they did not realise this until they got to unitas and the doc asked for it!

I doubt there are rules for the lead bike at an MTB race.

Even so, if enough people raise the issue with the organisers, maybe next time they'll think about the image of their race...

hey, I rode 2 times without a helmet last week. Its FANTASTIC. No weight, the wind blowing through my hair. and even without sunglasses. Its feels so free and open without the helmet and sunglasses.