Life Span of a Fox Shock.

VeloRacer

Hi guys, is there a specific life span of a mtb front suspension? Or can you just service till eternity?

There are some wear parts in there. If you are carefull, the stanchions don't become a wear part but if you are not, they become disposable.

If you replace the wear parts when they should be replaced, the fork will last indefinitely.

Wear parts in order of lifespan - shortest to longest.

1) Wiper seals

2) O-rings.

3) Piston seal.

4) Bearing balls

5) Bushes

6) Stanchions.

There are some wear parts in there. If you are carefull, the stanchions don't become a wear part but if you are not, they become disposable.

If you replace the wear parts when they should be replaced, the fork will last indefinitely.

Wear parts in order of lifespan - shortest to longest.

1) Wiper seals

2) O-rings.

3) Piston seal.

4) Bearing balls

5) Bushes

6) Stanchions.

Thanks for this, much appreciatd. While I'm sure rider weight & riding style will be a variable, is there a recommended mileage interval for shock servicing?

Thanks for this, much appreciatd. While I'm sure rider weight & riding style will be a variable, is there a recommended mileage interval for shock servicing?

The short answer is often. The long answer is, it depends.

Fox or Rox reccommends 50 or 100 hours depending on conditions. If you ride in a lot of dust, more often than if youre riding in front and others eat your dust. Just one wet ride could compromise the oil and even seals, so if you do a heavy wet ride, consider bringing your scheduled service forward.

The biggest danger of not servicing often enough is scratched stanchions. Inspect these at full extension, each time you wash your bike. Wash your bike after each ride, if you can.

Unfortunately MTBing is service-intensive and expensive.