GPS

Help.Me.

I need some info regarding a GPS, which one to buy? I just need it to get to clients adresses and save the location.My Budget is +- R 2300.00. Thanks in advance

I used Garmin for about 2years, chose Garmin because it is a reputable company and I thought they had the technological advantage over their competitors, oh and my cycling computer is Garmin. Then my Garmin was stolen in a smash and grab.

Decided to try TomTom and boy was I impressed! The TomTom offers so much more choices in terms of customizing the unit the way you want it to work, even with their entry level units. The functionality/ease of use and extra services of TomTom beats Garmin hands down.

Garmin limits you with the entry level models and they basically want you to buy the top of line to get the same functionality you get with entry level TomTom's.

There are many different models of each brand and it sounds like you need quite a basic model, perhaps something like the TomTom One

Garmin gets my vote - purely from a service backup point of view.

On my third replacement unit in 4 years, yet have not paid a cent except for map updates.

Twice I dropped the unit and they replaced it (no charge), the other time I tried using it coming back from the Argus (in a plane, clocked 910km/h and then it stopped working).

Now that they've launched the Live Traffic updates, it's even better.

To the TomTom users out there - does it come out with desktop software? i.e. something equivilent to Mapsource?

Garmin gets my vote - purely from a service backup point of view.

Why does every Garmin owner say that? That means that they must experience problems on a regular basis? I have never had an issue with TomTom, so I wont be able to tell you anything about their service.

Had issues with my Garmin 205 - didnt come with a qwerty keyboard and some other software issues, had issues with my Garmin Edge 305 - freeking endless issues - 4 units replaced

Live Traffic is also available on TomTom and TomTom has desktop software - TomTom Home.

Have you used TomTom before Frosty?

I did know any better either until I actually used one of the units.

There are just so much more choices available in terms of software operating functionality.

haven't had any myself, but my uncle has had a garmin and now a tom tom, and he absolutly raves about the tom tom

Go for a wide screen whatever you buy. And do not buy the bluetooth option, it is a gimmick you are going to pay for but not use.

I have Garmin in my LDV and Tom Tom in my car, out of the 2 i prefer the Tom Tom, agree with Samajoor other than a wide screen i dont need all the extra fancy things such as MP3, Bluetooth etc

Thanks for all the advice/info i will definitely do some more homework on the Tom-Tom , just a funny name ?? :)

i agree. go big screen. I bought the garmin 205W for R1500.

very happy with it...

If you are just looking for co-ordinates, some cheap options, you dont need maps right? Even old skool one will do the job so you could go used.

I use a Pocket PC with External BluTooth GPS and running different s/w which includes MASPware

Why does every Garmin owner say that? That means that they must experience problems on a regular basis? I have never had an issue with TomTom, so I wont be able to tell you anything about their service.

Considering I dropped it twice, and the unit was replaced at no cost on both occasions.

Have you used TomTom before Frosty?

I have assisted someone else (or at least tried to) with their TomTom and I found it difficult at first, but once you know the screen layout it's not that bad.

I just prefer Garmin, like others prefer Apple over PC or Johnny Walker over Jack Daniels