This is the way its done.....

Old Dog

Perhaps CSA can put together some sponsors for a SA team?????

Australia to enter TDF team?

2007-8-15 08:34

Sydney - The prospect of an Australian team competing in the 2009 Tour de France has moved closer to reality, according to local media reports on Wednesday.

Top Australian riders including Robbie McEwen, Cadel Evans, Stuart O'Grady and Michael Rogers could join forces in the sport's most prestigious race for a team financed by a company owned by internet entrepreneur Tony Smith.

A company called Pro Cycling Australia has been set up to oversee the project and Smith has pledged A$20m over four years to help establish the team.

"It's a major piece of the jigsaw," chief executive Paul Varcoe told Sydney's Daily Telegraph.

"The pieces are falling into place. We always believed it would happen and this is a significant step in proving it will."

The project still needs an additional sponsor and the backing of the Federal Government, and Smith hopes Evans's second-place finish in this year's Tour will help.

"Cadel Evans' effort in the recent Tour de France has been an inspiration to us all and put this great sport on the radar in Australia," Smith said.

"The cycling world has been talking about this for years and now it's finally about to happen."

Varcoe said Australia's top riders were keen to join the team.

"This is something that Australian cyclists have wanted for a long time," he said. "We will be talking to all professional cyclists including Cadel Evans, Robbie McEwen and Michael Rogers - they want to be on this team."

The prospect of a new Australian team will be welcome news for the sport following the doping controversies that marred this year's Tour, and Varcoe said cycling's ruling body the UCI supported the concept of a new team.

"They are very keen to globalise the sport," he said.

Reuters

Good luck to them being the second southern hemisphere team to compete in the TDF.

The way I see it SA-1 Oz-0

Well their aim is 2009 similar to what Barlow world had. And they got 3 riders that done the TDF before that would sign for the team.

Difference is that it sounds they want to make it an all Aus team and not a Aus team with European riders.

And with the teams that were kicked of the TDF and other sponsorships coming to an end they might get to the Tour.

Good luck to them being the second southern hemisphere team to compete in the TDF.

The way I see it SA-1 Oz-0

A better reflection would be to compare podium places won by Saffricans vs Australians .....

LOLWhat they are proposing is an Australian national team that's going to get registered as a ProTour team and then cruise around dominating all the big events!!!