Crank length

kahs

I was just wondering what the effect of an incorrect crank length is? I currently ride a 170mm on my road bike even though I should be riding a 172.5mm. Surely 2.5mm can't have too huge an effect though?

Longer cranks = more torque. If your cranks are too long your knees will probably let you know about it. If they're too short you're not using the full range of motion in your leg and probably losing a few watts in the process.

I went from 172.5 to 175 on my roadbike, didnt notice it. maybe maybe slightly better up steep climbs, didnt notice it spinning in the bunch.

I went from 172.5 to 175 on my roadbike, didnt notice it. maybe maybe slightly better up steep climbs, didnt notice it spinning in the bunch.

I went from 175 to 177.5 and I think I climb a bit better with the longer cranks, especially low cadence in the small blade.. obviously a personal thing though, depends on your riding style and how you're built.

Thanks, I'm thinking of changing to compact, so if I do I'll get the right size. Otherwise I just stick with what I've got :)

Is there a formula to work out you crank length

Is the same formula used on road and MT bikes?

I had a 175mm on the LHS and 170mm on the RHS, and I noticed the difference.

I'm not saying that its important for both cranks to be the same, because there are probably people who need two different lengths for anatomical reasons.

I am saying that component manufacturers who dont give you the choice of specifying crank length on both sides, really should consider doing so.

I've always loved this topic

How can you ride two different lengths does not make sence. If one leg is shorter than the other you need to build your cleat up not ride two different crank lengths.

You can also take old stompies from the street to build the cleat up, makes for a nice smell while out riding. LOL

you can also google this topic and find there is formla's to work it out.

I ride 180mm cranks on my road bike which suits me, but if I go with the

formula I should be riding 220mm yes thats correct you can get these made for you.

but I think that will be pushing it a bit.

Can I change the crank at the back on a tandem. My partner is shorter. Would the different length's help or matter?