Fort klapperkop MTB Trail?

Edwin Watson

Hey all,I am new to this forum and very amped about finding it.The site is definitely jam packed with a lot of quality content and trail information that I did not know about. I am not a avid cyclist but I do enjoy doing a MTB trail once in a while for a bit of extra exercise and obviously the slight shot of adrenaline you get on that downhill.

This morning after dropping a friend off at TUKS I decided to take a trip up to Klapperkop to see what Trails where there to MTB on after reading about them on here. I only found one trail which is from the looks of things for Down Hill Mountain Biking.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/splinter_watsup/MTBDownhill.jpg?t=1279546514

Other than this trail I could not really distinguish any other trails however once getting home and looking on google earth I noticed a number of dirt tracks around the area but a lot of them patter out at the end of them.

Can anybody point out a good MTB Trail to do at klapperklop by explaining or marking it on Google earth? I am really interested in routes you guys take however I do know the best way to learn the way of the land is to take a bike there and ride it for yourself,I just don't know where to start!

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome Edwin.

The course you found is indeed the downhill course that was used on the weekend and a mean mother at that.

As far as I know there are no formal MTB routes currently at Fort Klapperkop a better bet would be Groenkloof and Fountains have you tried any of those?

Welcome Edwin.

The course you found is indeed the downhill course that was used on the weekend and a mean mother at that.

As far as I know there are no formal MTB routes currently at Fort Klapperkop a better bet would be Groenkloof and Fountains have you tried any of those?

Hi River rat,I have Mountain Biked in both Fountains and Groenkloof!It is a excellent place to MTB however I thought a change would be nice :)

Thanks for the info on the DH Track,I did walk down it a bit,there are some great jumps on that track if you have the right bike and experiment which I wish I did!

This is the old DH route and there is a new one that was used on the weekend.

There are quite a few more trails, but they are slightly overgrown. Try Northern side of Klapperkop from the tower down to George Storrar and then up the steep climb following the old pipeline which are marked by the white cement poles. Turn right at the top and there is another downhill towards George Storrar and another climb up towards Johan Rissik.

Not for the unfit or for beginners.

• 5 years later...