Took my garmin to kyalami yesterday

slowjoe

what a fun toy Thumbs%20Up 

I dig all the data thats available. No comments on my speed. therez a reason they call me slowjoe Embarrassed (and did da first lap with 2 newbies)

20070815_090008_kyalami.jpg

and more data:

20070815_090652_kyalami2.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats very cool!! what model Garmin is that? and do you need to subscribe to Google Earth to get the imagery?

this is the forerunner 305.

nope this screenshots comes from motionbased.com, a free garmin website. theres a small utility installed on ur PC, when u plug ur device in it uploads the data to the site. no payments required.

10Two, i didnt wear my HR monitor yesterday.

I love the way that your laps got shorter each time. You obviously got to know the course better and started choosing the best lines just like racing drivers. Big%20smile

Wish I'd never seen this post as I'm so tempted to buy myself a GPS now.

I love the way that your laps got shorter each time. You obviously got to know the course better and started choosing the best lines just like racing drivers. Big%20smile

Wish I'd never seen this post as I'm so tempted to buy myself a GPS now.

cant beat them cheat them Big%20smile

i manually pushed the lap button on each lap. can also set it to auto lap based on the gps's coordinates.

this is the forerunner 305.

nope this screenshots comes from motionbased.com' date=' a free garmin website. theres a small utility installed on ur PC, when u plug ur device in it uploads the data to the site. no payments required.

10Two, i didnt wear my HR monitor yesterday.
[/quote']

Can the Edge 305 do all this?

Yes, I've uploaded training data from my Edge 305 to motionbased. You can search for your data by using your password as search criteria. I must say there is a lot of data being downloaded daily. I'm not sure how to search for SA data only.

Barry, how do you get all your data in this format, I've e-mailed it to myself, but then only get the map. I bit unexperienced still. Another question - the Edge mapping software does not allow 'auto routing', only as the crow fly, unless you keep on clicking the whole route. What software did you get with the Forerunner?. I believe the SA STREET MAPS software can do this?

Can the Edge 305 do all this?
Yes, it can. Here is my info generated by the Edge 305 for this years Argus with the HR info displayed as well.20070815_134525_Picture.jpg20070815_134613_New_Picture.jpg

There is also a rate of climb function on motionbased. You can use this to quite accurately determine your progress and fitness, even if on different courses. A higher rate of climb per race with a lower HR = fitter person.

You can just deivde Avg HR of ride by Avg rate of climb. The higher this figure, the fitter you are getting on average.

Yes' date=' I've uploaded training data from my Edge 305 to motionbased. You can search for your data by using your password as search criteria. I must say there is a lot of data being downloaded daily. I'm not sure how to search for SA data only.

Barry, how do you get all your data in this format, I've e-mailed it to myself, but then only get the map. I bit unexperienced still. Another question - the Edge mapping software does not allow 'auto routing', only as the crow fly, unless you keep on clicking the whole route. What software did you get with the Forerunner?. I believe the SA STREET MAPS software can do this?
[/quote']

Not sure if this is answering what you want, but if you make a route on Mapsource and save it as a gpx file. Then upload the gpx file to motionbased. Once on there you can export it as a crs file that you can use on the Edge and it will take you on the roads selected on mapsource

Yes' date=' I've uploaded training data from my Edge 305 to motionbased. You can search for your data by using your password as search criteria. I must say there is a lot of data being downloaded daily. I'm not sure how to search for SA data only.
[/quote']

Dont quite understand what u mean by this. You need to download motionbased agent. A little utility that sits in your pc;s tray. It has a synchronise option that takes data from ur device and uploads it to motionbased inbox. When you log into motionbased you see a summary of all your rides. you dont need to search for anything.

20070815_150155_mbagent.jpg

20070815_151525_homepage.jpg

Another question - the Edge mapping software does not allow 'auto routing'' date=' only as the crow fly, unless you keep on clicking the whole route. What software did you get with the Forerunner?. I believe the SA STREET MAPS software can do this?

[/quote']

Yes, the Garmap products can do auto-routing (they have recently released new versions of their maps), but the Edge / Forerunner models are not mapping devices and cannot auto route.

This means you cannot upload maps to it and it cannot use auto-routing data.

I am not 100% sure (don't have an Edge yet), but I think if you upload a route generated on an auto-routing map product to a non-auto-routing device, you would still get a straight line routes on the device.

The Garmap products are expensive (approx R2500 IIRC), so getting it

for use on the PC only is a bit of a waste if you do not have an

auto-routing device.

A better option would be to use tracks. If you have not recored the track, it is still a bit of work drawing it, but with the later versions of MapSource, (if you have the Garmin fitness centre installed, this is a free download) you can just hold down the mouse button and "draw" as you move the mouse. Of course you would need to have a steady hand to accurately follow a road.

But why bother if you are following roads. Waypoints at the major junctions with straight line routes should be more than sufficient.

If you are severely directionally challenged, get an auto-routing device.

where did you get the temperature info from? my edge 305 does not have temperature which is the one shortcoming of it imo. word2007-08-16 02:24:29