Owning a Carbon MTB, what to know

mark ellis

I am taking delivery of my first "plastic" mtb on Friday/Saturday.

What are the do's and dont's of owning a carbon bike?

Any special cleaning instructions?

Transport? read a while back about people saying dont use the normal hanger racks to transport carbon bikes?

Will be insuring for full amount

Get some clear vinyl and cover the bottom of the down tube. The constant spray of sand and stones will destroy the smooth surface very quickly.

Apparently you should not wrap the chainstay with an old tube. It does something to the paint.

I have been using hanging rack with carbon frame, no problem (there is a thread here that explains why).

One thing to watch out for: the cable holder/ bracket is vulnerable, especially when you place your bike on and take it off the Thule. A chain protector would also be advisable. ENjoy!

Get some clear vinyl and cover the bottom of the down tube. The constant spray of sand and stones will destroy the smooth surface very quickly.

Apparently you should not wrap the chainstay with an old tube. It does something to the paint.

oh yes. good thinking, like that clear 3M stuff?

if you dont ride it often the carbon becomes brittle and can snap like a toothpick without warning... really

if you dont ride it often the carbon becomes brittle and can snap like a toothpick without warning... really

If im not misreading the sarcasm here I would love to know the scientific reason this happens.

If im not misreading the sarcasm here I would love to know the scientific reason this happens.

im just being stupid ;)

Hi Mark, what bike are you getting? Be very carefull to check your handle bar and brake lever clearance over your toptube for when you have a crash, I shredded the top tube of a brand new Gt zaskar team in this manner, punched a hole the size of a 10c piece. Also be carefull to make sure there is a warenty, since there is a good chance you will crack it at sometime (i have broken every carbon bike i have owned) Good luck!!

im just being stupid ;)

NO NO!! you cant take it back now!! I already showed the boss and organised extra riding time!!

im just being stupid ;)

Dammit, I was going to use this as my defense for training 6hrs on the weekend. Not wanting my fibers to relax and so on :lol:

Maybe ill still try it!

Dammit, I was going to use this as my defense for training 6hrs on the weekend. Not wanting my fibers to relax and so on :lol:

Maybe ill still try it!

... find woman tend to believe me :)

Do's and don't s you want...

Do: Pay your insurance premiums

Race hard

Stick some sort of protection on the downtube and around the BB (that plastic stuff bikers stick on their fuel tanks works well)

Don't : Listen to people who says you should ride a metal bike.

I just got an insurance payout for my '06 Specialized Sworks HT on Monday - :D

DONT CRASH ON IT !!

otherwise you fine. Enjoy ;)