supplements???

what supplements do you use and which supplements work? (ie oxygen boosters and protein shakes etc) I used simple carbohydrate and protein shakes when i used to gym, purely attempting to put on weight and muscle mass but my focus has shifted to cycling, and i am not au fait with any cycling supplements.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, dont buy into the whole supplement industry; most of the things that supplements claim to do are false (Oxygen carrying capacity being one such claim)

Secondly, the supplement industry is completely unmonitored! In other words, the brands can put whatever they want into their products, make false claims etc and get away with it! you can test positive from supplementation! (its how shoaib malik, and shoaib aktar pulled a positive about a year ago!) there was an article in the Sunday Times on the 22 July on the exact topic!

Thirdly, you are seventeen, dont stuff around with Censored! You dont need to! Work hard and eat properly!

Fourthly, its a supplement; in other words, itys not a meal replacement! Eat properly first, your body will do the rest!

So basically, all you need really is a good energy drink, and drink egg-nog 30 minutes after your ride/gym session! If you cant stomach egg-nog, you're obviously not that serious about your cycling!

hehe i see on cyclignnews.com Moreni from Cofidis who recently tested positive for testosterone in the TDF claimed he used a natural testosterone booster, which he probably did. End result? Too much testosterone in his system and he gets a  positive test. bye bye Moreni. His career is over and everyone thinks he is a dork!

i do! ha ha! Its the price you pay! Half of the job being a pro sports-man is knowing what you can and cant use, and being extra-vigilent!

Ek gebruik sodium phosphate (sp) voor groot races. Funny groen pille. Cytomax en EAS se gu sachets. Ek dink alles behalwe die funny groen pille werk. 

thanks very much for your wise words boeing, i really appreciate them. and yes i used to eat raw eggs after a ride but found no benefit in doing so. and also i heard there are many health risks in eating raw eggs so that deterred me from them. i do eat very well and believe that is the key, but i am looking for a protein and an energy supplement to improve my performance. i will talk to my local pharmacist about the options, i am not overly concerned about supplements but i am aware that riders my age indulge in such.

can anybody tell me of their experiences with supplementation, just to get an idea for what works and what doesnt.

Salmonella scares Dead Ha Ha

The only one that has a WADA stamp of approval in this country is Energy Dynamics! Give it a try, really good! Iv started using the Octane as a race drink! Haven't had a bad experience yet! I used to use Fit! The stuff works but there are some dodgy ingredients in there!

Id say give the Energy Dynamics a bang! Since I used it, I recover slightly quicker between rides!

can anybody tell me of their experiences with supplementation' date=' just to get an idea for what works and what doesnt. [/quote']

I use whole food vitamin supplements. Specifically taking anti oxidants can reduce the free radicals caused by exercise and I feel it keeps me from getting sick.

But I get the feeling you're talking about other supplements...

The only one that has a WADA stamp of approval in this country is Energy Dynamics! Give it a try' date=' really good! Iv started using the Octane as a race drink! Haven't had a bad experience yet! I used to use Fit! The stuff works but there are some dodgy ingredients in there!
Id say give the Energy Dynamics a bang! Since I used it, I recover slightly quicker between rides!
[/quote']

Dodgy ingredients?? A bit concerning as I am using FIT at the moment.

The only one that has a WADA stamp of approval in this country is Energy Dynamics! Give it a try' date=' really good! Iv started using the Octane as a race drink! Haven't had a bad experience yet! I used to use Fit! The stuff works but there are some dodgy ingredients in there!
[/quote']

Also used FiT with great success.

But it gets expensive!

Also switched over to Octane....but I find that 50km into the ride it gets chunky.....almost like a "woman's revenge"?  NASTY!!

How can you prevent this from happening?????

Used Energy Dynamics for 3 years,was very happy with it!!

Switched over to powerbar just before the jock,very very  good!!!But also very expensive if you buy it localy.

I will be ordering some stuff before the end of the week,works out a lot cheaper!!

Used Energy Dynamics, it pissed my stomach off something evil, then used Game for years. Power Bar is not bad, Hammer has taken over as my stuff of choice now.

Just bought a tub of Biogen's meal replacement - highly recommended by the friendly yet HUGE dude at Dis-Chem. So ja, more of a fear purchase than anything else. Just keep on telling myself it works for Andrew McLean

Also used FiT with great success.

But it gets expensive!

Also switched over to Octane....but I find that 50km into the ride it gets chunky
as in the "chunky"? Don't get tested then!!

.....almost like a "woman's revenge"?  NASTY!!

How can you prevent this from happening?????
Dont mess around or divorce her!!!