IndoorTrainer -Damage to Bike

Tony

Do you use your normal road bike on an Indoor Trainer or an old spare?

I want to know if it is possible to damage your bike on the stand?

i also worry about my bike when i train on it. i only have one bike so i dont have that option. i notice that the bike moves from side to side and i am sure this puts alot of strain on the frame.

I also only have one bike and do not want to buy a stationary bike for training when the weather is grim, which is quite often here in PE.

i have never used rollers but i presume they are much easier on the bike, but alot more elements come into play, balance, safety etc

Not an expert but I would guess IDT does not damage the bike HOWEVER.....I have been warned not to stand when the bike is on the IDT as it can place to much strain on the frame and lead to damages. Also be sure to either use a sweat guard or dry the bike carefully after use to prevent the headset from rusting up. This is what happens to the bikes on IDT at the gyms - the headset rusts becuase of the sweat.

I have not seen a frame warranty that states "void if used on IDT"

So yes, the stress distribution in the frame will be diferent, but not outside what the frame was designed for. 

Firstly Rollers and indoor trainer,,, two different things,

Rollers have two rollers at the back one in the front, you balance while you pedal,,, stop and you fall....

Indoor trainer, you mount your back wheel on the trainer, this holds and balances your bike,

Although the IDT holds your bike and there is flexing of the frame , this is by no means more than the bike was designed to do, the only difference when you riding on the road is you do not see the flexing of the frame.

I will trace where I have seen a posting about this exact topic and put the link here.

If you don't over tighten the clamps on your IDT on your frame, you won't have issues....

Even better with rollers...

Biggest problem is tyre wear, but pumped up to the correct psi that's not even such a big deal.

Hi Tony

I had the same worries when I bought my IDT, seeing as I have carbon seat stays. But with practice I am able to keep my body relatively still while standing, which reduces lateral forces on the bike. By keeping my upper body almost still and not bobbing up and down my legs now do more work which is what I actually want.

Make sure your IDT is firmly fastened to your back wheel. You cannot cause damage to your bike by over tightening it because the brackets tighten against your skewer, but you can damage your IDT by forcing it open if you tighten it too much. If you leave your bike in the IDT overnight then just loosen the bracket of the IDT on the rear wheel to relieve the tension and take the tension off the roller on the wheel too.

Keep your tyre pressures at maximum to minimise tyre wear, but be sure to deflate them to normal pressure when going on the road otherwise you are bound to pop a tube or two

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I will get an IDT this weekend and give it a try.

Any advice on which make to get?