Bridges on the Spruit

Twombles

I'm not sure what the response will be, but here goes....

I'm sure that there are plenty of hubbers in the Joburg area that loves riding the Braamfontein spruit. However, currently there are sections and bridges needing attention.

Although there are a couple of areas needing attention, I think that most would agree that going up to Republic Rd is a nightmare. There are only a few riders able to negotiate through the mod, and even those that can ride it don't want to, because not everyone's convinced that it's only mud in that mess.

Myself and a couple of other riders are prepared to put in some manual labour to fix up some bridges that would be a more permanent solution, as that mess hasn't cleared up for months.

Two problems however:

Does anyone know whether council or ward permission is required to build bridges on the spruit?

And of course money..

It doesn't cost a fortune to build a proper bridge (high enough, wide enough and strong enough), but 3 riders can't carry the cost of building that.

Any one interested in sponsoring some material??? or any ideas for the initiative??

I have some planks from a wooden fence if you need, might have some poles also but not sure. Let me know if and when the Fairies are building and ill pull through

Don't bother with council and dont let them catch you using as much as a spoon anywhere on the Spruit. Most of the bridges have been privately funded and put up by volunteers. Oh, and then there are the complaints about why you put the bridge here and its so slippery and you are spoiling the fun for the guys who want to get dirty, blah, blah, blah.

Good luck. Oh, and if you want old timber get hold of me.

I'm not sure what the response will be, but here goes....

And of course money..

It doesn't cost a fortune to build a proper bridge (high enough, wide enough and strong enough), but 3 riders can't carry the cost of building that.

Any one interested in sponsoring some material??? or any ideas for the initiative??

It doesn't cost a fortune but don't underestimate what it can cost....

Danger Dassie and a friend put in a lot of time and effort to fix one of the bridges at the bottom of Delta Park a couple of years back. I volunteered to buy the materials thinking that it couldn't cost more than a couple of hundred rand, little did I know that the proper materials to cover a 1.5m2 section of bridge would cost close to R800.

Obviously DD did an excellent job because it's held up for 2 years now

I will happily get involved in this initiative. I can offer some elbow grease and/or a small donation towards materials?

I can't remember if we needed/got permission but there was a thread.. I'll try to find a link

Let me know when/where

There was an action group that started engaging with City Parks to approach this properly and using the appropriate channels. Long story short, 2 years, lots of effort and talking, and other than an approval in principle, no action by city parks and no approval to start working on it as yet.

Proceed with caution, as the Peter Harten issue is as far as I know still ongoing, and you put yourself at risk.

Proceed with caution, as the Peter Harten issue is as far as I know still ongoing, and you put yourself at risk.

Snows

You have to be kidding, I thought this has been done and dusted.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/21097-broken-bridge-on-spruit/page__hl__bridge+on+spruit

found the link, it appears Durtbreff was going to speak to someone, don't know if he ever did...

Apart from other such initiatives I tried to get in touch with the right authorities with no luck. The responsibilty lies somewhere between JRA and City Parks with no one wanting to take responsibilty or assist but both claiming rights with respect to the land and anything that happens there.

The last piece of advice I was given was that I should build what I want as long as its not anything hectic that could cause injury and subsequent lawsuits but do so under cover of night so that "he" would be none the wiser and cant catch me.

Basically a cover your arse scenario. Structures built would technically require engineering design and subsequent PI.

Have found better things to do with my time.

We can't touch a trail without some monkey who can't ride a bike trying to sue us.

From what I can remember the Delta bridge is missing a few planks again, ill go check it out properly some time.

is everyone just wanting a bridge placed on the ground to cover the water.

Let me know when and where and Ill be there!

Friend recently JUST made it over a bridge without planks near bryanston! Rather impressive actually!

I think you guys are right, trying to get hold of council or whoever seems to be impossible, as nobody wants to take responsibility.Although, Thanx for the tip Daft Vader.

The bridge in delta park is starting to show some loose planks, will have a look over the weekend.

I've been trying to get a couple of shops involved for materials, (they all think its a good idea, but sponsorships doesn't go without costings, and plans etc).I'll put a bit more effort into trying to find out what needs to be done in terms of permission, but no-one can complain if we just keep doing maintenance on existing bridges.