Gripshift and sore thumbs.

manbearpig

I converted to Gripshift about a month ago and I'm developing a pain on the inside of both thumbs. I also put slightly shorter bars on and although I've tried to keep the sweep angle the same I'm wondering if the subtle change could be causing it.

Anyone else had/cured the same problem?

I had a similar issue about 2 years ago.

I solved mine by wearing thinner gloves and relaxing my grip, it helps a lot and makes life a lot more comfortable.

Not sure if it will work for everyone, my buddy bought a stress ball and started pushing the hell out of it, that helped him.

haven't had the problem and I have switched to much shorter bars and have cut my ESI grips in half

I converted to Gripshift about a month ago and I'm developing a pain on the inside of both thumbs. I also put slightly shorter bars on and although I've tried to keep the sweep angle the same I'm wondering if the subtle change could be causing it.

Anyone else had/cured the same problem?

I can’t complain, I changed about 3 months ago to gripshift after I dislocated both my thumbs in a fall and I battled to shift with my thumbs ever sins. Changes to your old bars and see if that can be the problem.

I also converted to GS about a month ago with no issues regarding any thumb pain etc.

It could be your riding style, hand position, reach etc.. Your sweep may not be the same on the new bars or perhaps you have set them up differently to your last bar...

My hands are always around my GS's (permanently) as my brakes are positioned so that I can grab them while shifting. I find that the force to shift up or down is shared by the thumb and pointing finger and the webbing between my thumb and pointing finger is up against the gear shift indicators.

Last thing to consider is perhaps the SRAM handlebar grips ( the shorter one's that are supplied when you buy GS's) are slightly thicker than your old bar grips and this is making your hand "open" more instead of "close". Initially I had a little bit of hand pain for the first few rides as my hand adapted to a slightly bigger diameter grip.

Guest eyecandy

I had terrible pain in both thumbs for a few weeks. I must say it has almost gone now.....why? I dont know! Maybe its just a matter of getting used to them cos u working different muscles and tendons. Have also tried to relaxed my grip and not hold on for dear life!! :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I had terrible pain in both thumbs for a few weeks. I must say it has almost gone now.....why? I dont know! Maybe its just a matter of getting used to them cos u working different muscles and tendons. Have also tried to relaxed my grip and not hold on for dear life!! :unsure:

Rode in Contermans Kloof yesterday on a more relaxed ride to clock up some mileage.

Had sore thumbs from about 3/4 of the way through the ride :unsure:

Was very uncomfortable. Might try reinstall my bar ends to help the change of grip. :unsure: