Bicycle Warranties

Eugene

The post by Johan Bornman (Dodgy Practises) has got me thinking................ Two years ago, I bought a Specialized. The Shimano wheel started to crack. The wheel was replaced under warranty within a few days by Cool Heat Agencies, the official Shimano importers. I had an issue with the replacement wheel they gave me. They were unwilling to budge on the matter and told me to accept as is. I contacted Specialized SA directly to see if they could help. They told me that there was nothing they could do as their responsibility ended with the frame.

I can therefore assume that a bike can potentially have a number of different warranties; one for the frame, one for the wheels, one for the parts etc etc. What if that bike that I had bought had been specced with wheels that are not represented in SA? Would that mean that there was no warranty on the wheels?

If this is the case, buyers need to be made aware that the bike they have bought may have no warranty on certain components of that bike. Do the importers of bikes carry the warranty themselves on components that do not have a representative in SA?

Surely, if you buy a bike as a whole unit (as with a car), that whole bike (or unit) should have one warranty and that is with the import agents of that bike.

I also don't understand why most bike warranties are for the original owner only. If you purchase a car and resell it within the warranty period, the warranty is simply transferred?

You pay to get the warranty transfered. I found out the hard way. Bought a car in May and took for a service the other day. They told me the warranty is not in my name and it will cost me R1000 to transfer warranty.

I also don't understand why most bike warranties are for the original owner only. If you purchase a car and resell it within the warranty period, the warranty is simply transferred?

simple, bike companies dont make money from second hand sales, they want us to buy new bikes. Not only in the cycling industry either, many other sports based equipement will only carry a warrenty for the original buyer.

money makes the world go round!

You pay to get the warranty transfered. I found out the hard way. Bought a car in May and took for a service the other day. They told me the warranty is not in my name and it will cost me R1000 to transfer warranty.

Stewie - I've never come across this - what make is the car?

bmw. I couldn't believe it and it was the last service before the 100000km mark.

This kind of thing drives me crazy. It's price-gouging pure and simple angry.gif

Instead of paying extra for a warrenty that doesnt stand.

Look at the youtube clip on the hub 'raleigh haters'.

And, get the wheels that oke's got, they rock.

Eugene,look very carefully at the warrenty tag on new bikes.

Parts have about a 6 months warranty on them,i have seen some with 3 months and they will be repaired.

My opinion build a bike to your own specs and get a warranty on all the parts.