Training for Stage Races

Hi

I recently completed my second MTB race (Walkerville) which I found most enjoyable. I'm 1.89m tall and weigh in at 110kg's. My BMI is 14% - so fairly lean. The mass comes from years of gyming which has done me no favours in the long run. However, I follow a fiarly hectic training program in the gym but need more time in the saddle - which I'm working on. Any advice on training for stage races?

Vader

Joined on Mar 31 2010 02:29 PM D Vader

Joined on Feb 02 2010 08:06 AM Darth Vader

Joined on Jan 10 2010 03:54 AM darth_vader

Joined on Sep 10 2009 04:31 PM DarthVader

Joined on Aug 04 2009 04:31 PM Daft Vader

This could get slightly confusing.

Your BMI is 30,8 - ie not fairly lean.

Perhaps you mean body fat % is 14?

BMI means nothing. he might have huuuge muscles, with very little body fat.

If i look on the BMI charts for an adult and the BMI is 14 then you have to weigh 45.4kg lol.But yes he is obviously refering to body fat, and in that case the dude must be huge.

Vader

Joined on Mar 31 2010 02:29 PM D Vader

Joined on Feb 02 2010 08:06 AM Darth Vader

Joined on Jan 10 2010 03:54 AM darth_vader

Joined on Sep 10 2009 04:31 PM DarthVader

Joined on Aug 04 2009 04:31 PM Daft Vader

This could get slightly confusing.

which one is luke's father?

Cycling is a simple art form. Less weight equals less to carry around. Muscles are great things but weigh more than anything else in the body!! I did the Epic for the first time this year and found a coach to be best. She evaluated everything and changed the program as needed. If you can't do that ride 6 days per week if possible and do at least 2 longer rides if you have time. Do as much climbing as you can as it strenghthens your legs more than most exercises. This is what I found to be of most benefit to me. Also most people carried around big Camelbacks but we dropped all that and took as little as possible with us. (2 bottles and a small puncture kit) If you train with that in mind it will put you in the right place for race day. Just my2c worth.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I recently completed my second MTB race (Walkerville) which I found most enjoyable. I'm 1.89m tall and weigh in at 110kg's. My BMI is 14% - so fairly lean. The mass comes from years of gyming which has done me no favours in the long run. However, I follow a fiarly hectic training program in the gym but need more time in the saddle - which I'm working on. Any advice on training for stage races?

Hi Darth Vader!

I am a sport scientist and I can easily help you with training for stage races both in the gym and on the bike. If you want more info on my training programmes, contact me at maryke.verster87@gmail.com or call me 079 730 3831.