Sram Shifter X9 issus

Bike Lore

I bought this Sram X9 shifter and I am not sure if it is working correctly. should the shifter not flick back after i push up a gear? my X7 does. is this normal? it seems to get stuck

Yes it should flick back. I had a X9 shifter someone brought me from Europe that had an issue and the guys at SRAM in cape town fixed if for free... so send it off to the agent and they should be able to sort you out.

Thats the great thing with SRAM - it can be repaired, Shimano you just gooi weg and start over....

My x7 has developed a problem and doesn't always return as it should just as the warranty expired..

it can be flicked back into position..

sounds similar??

bike shop says it's most likely the spring inside but they cannot fix it...

if you guys are technically inclined you can quite easily open up SRAM shifters and service them yourself....bearing in mind that if it goes "sproing" then its going to be somewhat more tricky to fix.

The fact that the bike shop said they can't fix it is not very nice - but I am not sure if X7's are servicable like X9's. Call the agent and see what they can do. Cape Cycle Systems I think is the company. Someone have info for them?

if you guys are technically inclined you can quite easily open up SRAM shifters and service them yourself....bearing in mind that if it goes "sproing" then its going to be somewhat more tricky to fix.

The fact that the bike shop said they can't fix it is not very nice - but I am not sure if X7's are servicable like X9's. Call the agent and see what they can do. Cape Cycle Systems I think is the company. Someone have info for them?

Thank MoreTrails. I think i managed to fix it, I loosened the bolt/screw and it works now. one more question that 4 leg star should it move/rotate when i shift?

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/images/products/shifters/hero_15.jpg

My x7 has developed a problem and doesn't always return as it should just as the warranty expired..

it can be flicked back into position..

sounds similar??

bike shop says it's most likely the spring inside but they cannot fix it...

jip. but mine happened after a hit a tree en bend the shifter. that is why i got the X9 now and the same issue.

Still, should be able to fix it. I broke the shifter mechanism inside also with an altercation with a tree, or the rock next to it....but ultimately i had to lie down on the trail!

NO, that 4 sided nut should be nice and firmly tightened - but by hand only! Its the same nut you use to get to the cable for services/replacement so don't over tighten. Maybe a little Wynnflon or WD40 will help with the sticky insides?

After much use on my X0's it would not **** the gears at all.

Opend it up and saw where the leaver was worn round (the skrews were loose that probly helped it along)Filed the edge square. and sie daar all working well. Many 1000k's later still going strong.

OK have been through 2 frames in the process.