Charity ride

slowpoke

OK, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - it kinda belongs in more than one spot...

I'll start by asking who remembers a couple of years back when a whole lot of us gautengers got together and took stuff to Jakaranda Children's home? Man what a ride and man what a feeling.

Who wants to do something similar again?

I have a date (27 November - the Saturday after the 94.7), I have a VERY established charity (all will be revealed in due course) and I have commitment of non-cyclists to make this happen... so now it's up to cyclists.

What I need to know from you lot is:

- what makes you WANT to do charity stuff (eg give toys / clothes / stationery / etc) to those who need it?

- do you want a momento? (nb being a charity thing you'd have to pay for said momento)

- do you want a "larney" post ride venue and refreshments or just somehwere to at least get a cooldrink?

- would you be willing to do an "online registration" in advance to help give an indication of number of marshals etc required to support you?

any other ideas or suggestions? (and no, the date and venue are not negotiable, but the venue is big, trust me on this)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i asume this will be a road event ?

great idee.

will this again be on behalf of the jacaranda home?

what will the cycling distance be?

You can count me in.

Give me a place where I can get a cooldrink and chicken burger afterwards and I'll be 100's

Yes, I will register in advance

Yep - road event, gauteng, jhb south (sorry, the venue is a fixed location pre-determined by the charity concerned). not Jakaranda Childrens's home but kids and kids and more kids from all over - main goal being toys but please remember not all kids want soft toys, and these days the organisers like educational and sports stuff (ok, so that's a bit of a give away)

due to the location there are certain constraints relating to catering so we are busy looking into that to see what we can do

the discatnce will not be very far - it is the saturday after 94.7 so there will be a lot of stiff and sore legs so we're going to focus the route and distance on the social riders

NB the goal of the organisers is to make a difference in as many kids' lives as they can so if they see that us cyclists like to do that too then we'll get more and more fun ways of doing so ;)

In the south ?? The deep south ??

What a GREAT place!!!

Cool, I'm in & I'll bring my kids (depending the distance)

No need for a momento. Rather give that money to the kids or buy stuff for them.

A place to have a cold drink & have a bite will be great, can also meet a few hubbers.

Can do the online reg.

Indigo - if there are momento's they would be for sale and the profits will go to help out various kids' homes for groceries etc (and no, it's never a cash donation - the organisers of this event get a shopping list and go do the shopping and deliver)

Indigo - if there are momento's they would be for sale and the profits will go to help out various kids' homes for groceries etc (and no, it's never a cash donation - the organisers of this event get a shopping list and go do the shopping and deliver)

Sorry, I have a unique ability called selective hearing & reading :D :D

Personally I wouldn't buy a momento, rather buy an extra toy.

Sorry, I have a unique ability called selective hearing & reading :D :D

Personally I wouldn't buy a momento, rather buy an extra toy.

now THAT is what we love to hear/read ;)

Won't be able to commit now, but if I'm free that weekend, then why not. I've got a baseball bat lying at home, so I'll be there with at least one item.

Slowpoke, I was part of that ride, and yes, what a great feeling it was to see the kids faces when we pulled in with that trailer load of gifts.

Best of luck, sure you'll get this one going.